Do You Use a 3 Jaw or a 4 Jaw Chuck?

I mostly just use my three jaw unless I am dealing with bearing surfaces or something like that. But, most of the time I only use my lathe to turn something round and shoot holes down the center for tapping work. Real simple stuff. Anything odd shaped, I just let my mill handle it. That's mainly because I really only make parts for my hobbies. So, I know what is good enough for me. I imagine working parts for paying customers would be a different situation altogether.

Sooner or later, you'll need to hold a square or rectangular piece and a 4 jaw chuck will be needed. There are scroll-type 4 jaw chucks but, you won't be able to hold pieces at offset positions with them.

Which one do I use?... 6 Jaw, 3 Jaw, 4 Jaw and 5C Collet. Whichever one is best suited for the task at hand.

Ray
Ray

I have a 8” Bison scroll-type 4 jaw chuck, it has the scroll that opens all the jaws, but also each of the jaws are adjustable, it will hold any odd shaped part, the open with the scroll, then close back down, to do multiple parts.

I was considering drilling and tapping this replacement band saw vise base with my 4 jaw chuck. I am thinking it is the best way to hold the work at a proper 90 degree angle. I am almost done with the milling.
I also have a drill press or the Bridgeport.
What do you think?
Should I drill the 3/4 hole first, then the two 1/2” holes?
(pic is before I started the job. I have completed the milling and need to decide which way to approach the drilling and tapping)

8EDD4978-868E-48B5-8032-F86721713039.jpeg

Last edited:
Drill it in the Bridgeport. Use an edge finder and dial in the location of the holes. Mounting that part with the part way off center in the 4 jaw will lead to vibrations you won't believe. You might think your lathe will walk across the shop.

Good point. When I tap the large hole I will use a center to support alignment, I think I will chuck it up in the lathe and use the tail stock as my friend.
The 3/4 hole needs to have left hand 10 tpi threads. I had to buy that one, wasn't laying around the shop.

Agreed, 4-jaw that one. Might even be able to power tap in the lathe, if you have the cojones.

I have a 10" 3-jaw set-tru chuck on my Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" and use is most of the time. Have used the 4-jaw once, never turned between centers with a faceplate and dog.

Bruce

My 9x20 three jaw is well out so I only use it if I do not have to replace the part back in it.
The four jaw gets a lot of use for that reason, and the face plate and between centres.
For most of my smaller stainless stuff I use the collet chuck I made but still have to grind the internal taper for final alignment. Its almost there.

We basically almost never use a three jaw. Not accurate enough, and we have set trues. Go to chuck for quick and close is a Jacobs rubber Flex, 5C, or a four jaw.

Back