Do you use a Nortel ?

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Nortel, AM1000. Air mover. Gifted to me. How would you use.

image.jpeg

I'm not sure what a hobbyist would use one for. We used similar devices on production lines for cooling zippers after they were sonic welded to plastic film packages. Essentially they can provide sufficient air flow to act as spot coolers.

Do you have an ample supply of shop air? Make a vacuum system? It's less energy efficient than an electric impeller vacuum system. Not sure why they make them other than the need for compact energy transfer. In an explosive risk environment they are essential though.

Not recognizing the brand name, I'm at somewhat of a loss. If that thing is what it looks like, air in, one side sorta hot, other side sorta cool, they were used in the steel mill to protect(?) electrical cabinets from high temperatures(orange hot) by providing cool air ventilation.

For the home shop? An interesting experiment with the physics of air movement. Not much else. They are very expensive loads for compressed air. Think air conditioning for a cubic foot. For cooling, a "Pelteir Junction"(diode thermopile) is much more effective, and far more efficient.

Mfg. says 20 fo 25 times the compressed air consumption. This came from a retired machinist . Through a friend, so I can't go to the former user for usage info. Thought maybe someone here had used one.
Thanks, Dave

Might use it as a fume extractor for the soldering area. Add a discharge hose to the end of the head. More compact and less noisy than a shop vac, can place the (suction) nozzle near the work. Does require compressed air, however.

I put one on a paper punch on a machine I built for HP, used it to slurp away the chad.

Bill - This is not one of those hot/cold vortex tubes. This works like the Dyson "bladeless" fan. Best I can describe it ... air comes out of a very narrow groove inside the ring-shaped nozzle, follows the shape of the ID. In doing so, it entrains air from in front of the nozzle and sends everything out the back end. A cross section of the ring would look kinda like an airplane wing.

I’ve only ever seen them used to cool F1 drivers in the cockpit... 4D924AC3-BC7C-46AF-89E1-7744F25F4DA5.jpeg3386C594-9387-4B40-9A51-8F841A50CCA6.jpeg

When I was working in high speed production, We used them for pushing light parts coming off a machine through a shoot to a conveyer table on some machines. Also for blowing excessive coolant off parts coming out of other machines

Back