[4]

Do you use the Kurt DX6 Vise chip shield?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have found the sharp, thin, sheet metal piece that slides in the back of the Kurt vise to be difficult to use.
It does keep the chips out of the screw but you really have to keep an eye on it.
It wants to hit the main casting as I move X inward.
It's sharp too!! Ask me how I know.
Take it off?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Never seen one before. That must be something new that they have added, and maybe not well thought out.

Best guess is that you could remove it without any bad effects.

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I use mine. Sand or file the sharp edges off. I just push mine around depending on how far I have the vise open and where most of the chips are falling. It's a small price to pay to keep the screw cleaner.

YMMV,
Ted

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I don't use it. The movable jaw pushes it out the back and leaves a knife hanging out there. I mostly work with smaller parts, so it's more trouble than it's worth to me. I just clean up the chips once in a while. Not many seem to wind up stuck on the screw.

Technical Ted

I forgot to add that the piece that comes with these vises, or at least mine anyways, was very long, so I cut it into two pieces... a shorter one for working on small pieces and a longer one for longer pieces. If needed, I could use both end to end for very long pieces, but I've haven't run into the need for that as of yet.

Ted

Boxster9

I don't use it. but then, careful to clean up stray chips often. Seems lethal, sharp and injury waiting to happen.

81husky

Registered
I cut mine approximately in half, and use it. Full length, Boxster9 is right on as being a hazard.

bill70j

I don't use the shield that came with my Kurt vise. But I do vacuum/brush chips from the screw periodically.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Cut it in half.
I like that idea.

EmilioG

Active User
The user guide that comes with the Dx6 Crossover vise states that the shield should be trimmed and deburred for use.
Great vise. Really well made.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Oh, ok, who reads directions?
Yep, great vise. I love it.

4cyclic

Cut mine in half too. Works !

kb58

My new DX6 didn't come with one. Is it an option?

ttabbal

My new DX6 didn't come with one. Is it an option?
It should have been in the box. It looks like a random piece of sheet metal. I almost tossed it thinking it was packing material or something. It could be easily lost in the packaging.

Richard White (richardsrelics)

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Agree on not finding it in the box at first... When I asked the helper he said he did not see one, we looked thru the packaging, we then found it. I got the same piece when I purchased the older better version of the vise, we don't use them but maybe we should.. Cutting them sounds like the plan of the day.

ThinWoodsman

Registered
Picked up a DX6 recently, they're on sale everywhere right now. The chip shield was in between the carboard box and the cardboard that keeps the vise from moving around, with "Chip Shield" written in sharpie and arrow pointing to it. Maybe they've gotten some feedback about "missing" chip shields.

kb58

Well, "Booo," guess I threw mine out then. Probably something to do with having just lifted the 80-lb thing out of the box, and the box then seeming very empty in comparison (by weight).

KMoffett

Active User
Back in 2013 I got a new Kurt vise with the lead screw shield. I liked it. When the jaws are close to being closed, the shield protrudes a long way out on the back side. I really worried about it catching the rubber Y way cover during an X move. I asked if I could buy another and cut it off shorter. "Sure, Part number is HDM690-249 and they list for $11.00." Problem was minimum order was $25, and I didn't need three. So just made my own.

Ken

grumpy

Registered
Registered
I cut 4" off one end so I have 2 pieces and swap them when needed.

RobertHaas

Registered
I have found the sharp, thin, sheet metal piece that slides in the back of the Kurt vise to be difficult to use.
It does keep the chips out of the screw but you really have to keep an eye on it.
It wants to hit the main casting as I move X inward.
It's sharp too!! Ask me how I know.
Take it off?

I believe that would be your "Y" axis.

bss1

Kurt D688 here. Cut my chip shield in half 12 years ago and never looked back. Seemed like the thing to do.

[6]
[5] [7]