Do you use the Kurt DX6 Vise chip shield?

RobertHaas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have found the sharp, thin, sheet metal piece that slides in the back of the Kurt vise to be difficult to use.
It does keep the chips out of the screw but you really have to keep an eye on it.
It wants to hit the main casting as I move X inward.
It's sharp too!! Ask me how I know.
Take it off?

I believe that would be your "Y" axis.

bss1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Kurt D688 here. Cut my chip shield in half 12 years ago and never looked back. Seemed like the thing to do.

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Cereal box card board works great!
Use a couple parallels to get the right width & use as a straight edge and they will snap right down in place.
Make a bunch while you are at it and trim for different lengths depending on the depth of the workpiece and how much space is left on the handle side.
I, myself, prefer Raisin Bran but hey, Rice Krispies or Fruit Loops will work in a pinch!!
Oh, and did I mention they are cheap!! :grin:

Attachments

• DSCN8338.JPG
    DSCN8338.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN8339.JPG
    DSCN8339.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

kb58

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have no such problem... due to either not receiving one with my vice, or not seeing it in the box...

Jake P

I got a D688 with my used mill and found the sheet metal piece in a tool drawer that came with the mill. Didn't have any idea what it was until I read the manual for the vise! I cut mine so that I have a shorter and a longer piece, depending on how wide I'm clamping.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I do a lot of CAD work. (Cardboard Aided Design). Cereal boxes are a crucial piece of the puzzle.
The backing in the gasket set you just bought are another source of quality design tooling:rolleyes:

WobblyHand

For those that have cut the sheet metal, what did you use? I'd like to cut the piece but don't want it to curl. Just a saw ok? The piece looks like a spring steel, is it hard?

Jake P

I just used a pair of snips and was careful to make as straight a cut as I could.

Then I just put the ends in the vise and used those wonderfully flat and powerful jaws to press the pieces flat!

WobblyHand

I just used a pair of snips and was careful to make as straight a cut as I could.

Then I just put the ends in the vise and used those wonderfully flat and powerful jaws to press the pieces flat!
Sometimes the simplest answers are best! Thanks for the suggestion. Thought the snips would curl it up. Didn't even think about the fact I had a vise!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock