Do you use the Kurt DX6 Vise chip shield?

I have found the sharp, thin, sheet metal piece that slides in the back of the Kurt vise to be difficult to use.
It does keep the chips out of the screw but you really have to keep an eye on it.
It wants to hit the main casting as I move X inward.
It's sharp too!! Ask me how I know.
Take it off?

I believe that would be your "Y" axis.

Kurt D688 here. Cut my chip shield in half 12 years ago and never looked back. Seemed like the thing to do.

Cereal box card board works great!
Use a couple parallels to get the right width & use as a straight edge and they will snap right down in place.
Make a bunch while you are at it and trim for different lengths depending on the depth of the workpiece and how much space is left on the handle side.
I, myself, prefer Raisin Bran but hey, Rice Krispies or Fruit Loops will work in a pinch!!
Oh, and did I mention they are cheap!! :grin:

Attachments

• DSCN8338.JPG
    DSCN8338.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN8339.JPG
    DSCN8339.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
I have no such problem... due to either not receiving one with my vice, or not seeing it in the box...

I got a D688 with my used mill and found the sheet metal piece in a tool drawer that came with the mill. Didn't have any idea what it was until I read the manual for the vise! I cut mine so that I have a shorter and a longer piece, depending on how wide I'm clamping.

I do a lot of CAD work. (Cardboard Aided Design). Cereal boxes are a crucial piece of the puzzle.
The backing in the gasket set you just bought are another source of quality design tooling:rolleyes:

For those that have cut the sheet metal, what did you use? I'd like to cut the piece but don't want it to curl. Just a saw ok? The piece looks like a spring steel, is it hard?

I just used a pair of snips and was careful to make as straight a cut as I could.

Then I just put the ends in the vise and used those wonderfully flat and powerful jaws to press the pieces flat!

I just used a pair of snips and was careful to make as straight a cut as I could.

Then I just put the ends in the vise and used those wonderfully flat and powerful jaws to press the pieces flat!
Sometimes the simplest answers are best! Thanks for the suggestion. Thought the snips would curl it up. Didn't even think about the fact I had a vise!

Back