Doall Dgp-24 Drill Press -worn Plastic Cam. West Epoxy? Jbweld?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Picked up a winner w/ a possible easy-fix! Two speeds on this DoAll DGP-24 do not work. They are both related to the worn CAM end shown in the pictures below. Seller thought it had a broken gear.... 3 franklins + I move it out made it mine. Love this stuff!

Should be an easy fix if I can get something to fill in the Divot, stick, and take lube. The rod that the cam pushes down does spin while in contact w/ the plastic cam. I have a feeling it was just left in that speed since the 80's?

Do we have JBWeld believers? I do have the West epoxy System which I could mix up too. Or? what else could I do to fill in the two divots on each plastic CAM point. Two of them are 1/8"-3/16" or so worn.

I did confirm this will fix the missing two speeds by just putting a shim between the pin and cam... Bingo!
Whatever I fill in w/ will need to be oiled and take a bit of punishment.

I could make a new plastic CAM on the CNC Mill, but then I'll need to rip and replace. Want to try epoxy maybe as this is a home/hobby drill setup. Not a full time thing.

Notes- DOAll-Fix-IMG_0104.jpg Notes- DOAll-Fix-IMG_0103.jpg

Heck of a buy on a geared DP with power downfeed.
What about drilling the worn spots to size and putting in pushrod ends out of a junk engine. They are hardened and will take a heck of a beating plus shafts are hollow and some really heavy gear oil put up in there might last for quite a while to help lube it. All could be done from the open face of the DP case.
Jerry

I was thinking the same thing... Drill it and put in something non-plastic. Thank for the idea of yours! It does need to glide in/out of cam position when rotated, so a little grinding work there should get it done. Anyway, I could not wait- I put in the JB weld. (I am still a newb technically LOL). If it does not stick and take lube, I'll just remove it and machine a new cam from something. Everyting else will last 40 more years on this thing- May as well make a set of cams to keep up. We'll see.

I cannot see the design of the cam very well, but if it is not too complicated you could make one out of something like O-1 tool steel, harden it, and never worry about it again. Ever. More complicated shapes could be done by someone with a CNC mill. You might even find someone on this forum interested in helping you out.

It doesn't look to hard to remove and make the part... Doing it right the first time means you don't have to do it again.

In the shop we have a saying... "Why is there never enough time to do it right but plenty of time to do it again?"

I will pull it out and make one! Promise. I wonder about wearing out the push rod part if I make the cam too hard? The round push rob spins on the cam. Should the cam be softer? I posted thumbnails. If you click the picture does it launch the full size image? Thanks for the note. Cg

I cannot see the design of the cam very well, but if it is not too complicated you could make one out of something like O-1 tool steel, harden it, and never worry about it again. Ever. More complicated shapes could be done by someone with a CNC mill. You might even find someone on this forum interested in helping you out.

Ok , so from the posts... I will make a few cams on the cnc mill. As I wondered above, do the new cams made of metal need to be softer than the push rod part (which spins)? If I wear thAt down I think it will be a much worse problem.
Thanks guys. Jeff.

What are the spinning rods made of? Are they glass hard, or relatively soft? Steel or something else? There are combinations that work well together, and others that do not...

Do-All is still in business. You don't suppose they might still have parts for it, do you??? Maybe it could go another 30 or 40 years, maybe longer with some lubrication.
http://www.doall.com/dgisupply.aspx
It is a long shot, but worth checking into...

Back