Doall Dgp-24 Drill Press -worn Plastic Cam. West Epoxy? Jbweld?

I have not had any luck when trying to use glue or epoxy to repair plastics. If you have something spinning at the problem area. I would drill and thread that spot and insert a threaded brass plug. Make sure the threads you select, RH or LH, are going in the correct direction to insure it will screw in the brass plug and not unscrew it when you run the machine.

If theres room use a metal hose clamp. Get one thats long enough to leave the most strip of stainless possible to cover the holes.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas by Jake Parker!

Whenever you have the means to make something right it is better than using a bandaid. Bandaids do not last and are only used to make something work long enough to finish a job.

I'd want to make a new cam out of the same type of plastic to avoid wearing out the cam follower. If that cam has been in there since the 80s it's held up pretty well. Nothing wrong with a wear part wearing out. I'd rather have to replace that cam again in twenty years than have to replace the shaft that rides on it in five.

You might want to take a close look at the end of that shaft, too.

Just my 2c but the rod the cam works on is of a small diameter compared to the working surface of the cam. Couldn't you make a flat topped tappet for the rod that would ride on the entire surface of the existing cam? This will only work if there is an additional amount of travel in the rod to allow for the thickness of the tappet surface. This fix would make the cam life very long and a good polish on the tappet top would make the wear almost nil. I have a gear head Do-all drill press that the little b@$&%$#@ at the high school shifted while running and ate the fiber gear. I got the press for $100 ( the cost of the invertor box) and made a gear from delrin. Forget about factory parts for these, they don't seem to exist. BTW the press was less than a year old when they broke it , no drill damage to the table but they broke all of the oiler cups off in that short period. Good luck with your repair--David

Last edited:
Weird- post from this morning not here? quick update- Been so busy past few weeks. Did put in JBWeld on 1 cam as a test. Stuck just fine. But only 1 layer. Needs a few more layers to build up the cam. Said heck w/ this...Son sold me on a 3d Printer.... Yep. I think it's time. I could have had all 4 newly printed in Nylon and replaced by now. He's a smart kid but it's always Dads wallet! We are looking at the Lulzbot Taz6 : https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/announcements/announcing-lulzbot-taz-6

Everyone have a great summer!!

I thought I would post a quick update. There is a 3D printer in the house now. I finished my very first Fusion 360 POC just to try and learn the autodesk app. All I can say is "Wow"! My son is big w/ Solidworks (as a design student) but I'm really impressed w/ Fusion360!
For a few quick lessson vids- I went w/ the Fusion Friday youtube vids from NY-CNC https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp
It seems to be really popular w/ CNC and CAM ops w/ this guy. I'll get into the dimensions and printing in a few weeks or so.
CamPOC1.jpg taz6.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the replacement gear in Fusion 360 last night. I've 3D printed the replacement and am about to go put it on the shaft and reinstall into the DoAll. I'm using a crafted filament call n-Gen. The Nylon 6 that I tried to print is much harder to print with and I'll need to learn and experiment to get those settings down. In the image, the White item is the Nylon 6(18) which started to curl and warp. The original part is in the middle.
For now, the n-Gen gear in grey prints wonderfully in about 2hours as a "solid" part (no internal hollow areas). I even added the hole and now do not even need to drill! Gotta love this stuff.
Few points-
1- To go from Fusion360 to Cura (3d printing software totally free) is just a button click. Pic below.
2- To make an actual engineering drawing in F360 is really easy!!! Wow! pic below) .
3- Look out world!
click on thumbnails to open into larger actual size pics.

replacement-gear3of3.JPG DGP-gear3of3.jpg fusion-2-Cura-1button.jpg

OK, I'm convinced, I need a 3D printer! Very cool and saves a bunch of machining time.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if a router can double as a 3D printer. Would be cool to have a 48x96x10 print area, and my router has two independent Z axis heads. Need to look into print heads.

Back