DoAll die filer

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been working on refurbishing a DoAll die filer that I bought several weeks ago. It was pretty nasty and leaked oil in several places from the case...

20191026_131116.jpg

I began by completely disassembling everything and cleaning and painting the components. The 'piston' guides in the crankcase were worn out, so I set the crankcase up on the mill and machined them back square and fitted them with bronze 'bearings'.

I then replaced the roller bearing and oil seal on the input shaft and cut new gaskets from rubberized cork sheet.

The next issue was to find a replacement for the upper piston seal... it was originally a 'bellows' type boot seal that prevented the filings from falling into the crankcase. I discovered that I could take a boot that is used on early '50s Ford trucks to seal the accelerator rod to the firewall and cut the top and bottom flange off and it would fit like it was made for the DoAll...

20191030_111742.jpg

The oil level sight glass was cracked... I replaced it with a piece cut from the plastic packaging that a Kick-eez shotgun recoil pad comes in.

20191130_112029.jpg

I reassembled most of it yesterday...

20191130_111804.jpg

I don't have the motor on it yet... I'll have to put a new power cord on the motor first. The cord that came on it was... scary...

I also need to finish cleaning and painting the stand that the filer mounts on... it has about 6 coats of paint that has been softened by years of being coated in oil... its very gooey... lol.

-Bear

Looks Great!! What is the brass fitting for? Charles

Looks Great!! What is the brass fitting for? Charles

There is a small tube that attaches there that doubles as a crankcase breather and an air nozzle that blows the filings off the work piece... the air is 'moved' by the stretching and collapsing of the upper 'bellows' seal...

Its a pretty neat setup...

-Bear

It looks like new. What is the purpose of the circular boss on the table?

It looks like new. What is the purpose of the circular boss on the table?

Honestly, I don't know... I've been trying to figure that out myself...

-Bear

That boss almost looks like it's for a gate for casting the table? But that doesn't make much sense as the webs get smaller at the table apron. My Oliver die filer has a hold down clamp on the overhead like yours, so wouldn't think they'd put a redundant one that far off to the side. I didn't see any clues from a Google search either; yet another mystery to solve.

Bruce

I finished assembling the DoAll this afternoon...

20191205_180703.jpg

Now I need to order some files for it... I had already ordered two files from Mcmaster, but they are too short. Falcon Tools has a better selection.

-Bear

Back