Does an R8 knee mill need the set screw register inside the spindle?

I haven't found the pin to be a problem. On my mill it lines up with the spindle lock hole so it's easy to accommodate when switcihng out tool holders.

I prefer to support and rely on the judgement of the original machine tool Engineers.

IMO, the pin is there for good reasons.
The pin does it's job perfectly and has never caused me a problem.
I think that's because I know it's there and I know how to prevent damage to it.

If I owned an R8 spindle with the pin missing, replacement would be on the to-do list.

Thinking about the pin vs no pin question has reminded me of a true story.

I was in an automotive repair shop (a business, not a hobby shop) and noticed, hanging on a wall, some disk brake rotors of the ventilated type. The rotors on the wall were worn to the point where one of the faces was less than 1/16" thick, had fatigued at the fins and the fins were protruding from the disk on that side. It's still amazing to me that some people decide to drive their car with front brakes in that condition. The shop owner called it his "Wall of Shame" and said such things were all too common.

Disk Brake Rotor Worn Through.jpg
I got this image from a Google search. The ones I saw in person were off the car and fascinating to look at.

Back