Does Anybody Make a Grease Gun That Doesn't Leak?

It is a universal impossibility, no fancy engineer or mighty machinist can create a grease gun that doesn't leak. No amount of titanium and carbon fiber can hold back the fact that grease was meant to be handled... with your hands.

Glad im not the only one. I resort to keep mine in a plastic freezer bag wrapped in a rag. I can never get mine to stay “primed” either.

Quote "I can never get mine to stay “primed” either."
That's why hanging dirty end down (see post #2)
Aaron

That AIrTec gun might be the answer.
It looks like it has thread in cartridges. I don't understand exactly how it works? It must have some kind of plunger in the cartridge or it would create vacuum?
Robert

How about this... Anyone make a grease gun that is easy to prime? Spent $40 on one from home depot, which I have given up on and scoop the grease from the tube with a teaspoon.

My grease gun primes every time with no issues. It has a very strong spring in the grease compartment. I think that is why. Mine is the OTC, same as the Lincoln I think. How strong is the plunger spring on yours?
Robert

My grease gun primes every time with no issues. It has a very strong spring in the grease compartment. I think that is why. Mine is the OTC, same as the Lincoln I think. How strong is the plunger spring on yours?
Robert
Not very strong. Also the rubber boot doesn't seem to want to feed through the grease tube so it jams up at the bottom. At first I thought it was user error, but I think the gun is defective

My plunger spring is very hard to pull. I have to clamp the gun in a vise and use 2 hands. That's why it primes. May also contribute to leaking!
Robert

My plunger spring is very hard to pull. I have to clamp the gun in a vise and use 2 hands. That's why it primes. May also contribute to leaking!
Robert
Yikes, no I can pull mine with little effort, but it doesn't have the gusto to drive the plunger through the grease tube.

I'll buy a new one, but I have been getting by with scooping grease out and feeding it to the plunger inlet manually (no tube attached). It works but is VERY messy.

Mine, if you pull back the handle, so the end contacts the plunger, you can turn it to engage the plunger, and then push the plunger into the grease. That way it does not need a strong spring.

My Dad had one with a big rubber washer in the front end. I do not recall it leaking like mine do, I just thought it was because I always buy cheap ones.

Back