[4]

Does anyone have a G1642 lathe?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've had mine since new and i still love it...
1642 Lathe.jpg

KBeitz

Wow.... Guess I'm the only one....

BROCKWOOD

Seems they sell a million of everything they have, yet you n I are solo on our choices around here. Show it off. Any frustrations or improvements along the way?

NCjeeper

Didn't know such animal existed.

KBeitz

The motor was the only problem I've ever had so I changed it out. It wasn't an easy job.
Taiwan motors are wired so different. I also added a second lock leaver to the tail stock
to help keep it locked down and I added a 120-220 volt rec. to the front for thing like
grinders. I put on a 3 Axis Digital Readout and a tool tray. It has really been a good tool.

BROCKWOOD

Well G1642 is now a collet. Do tell about your motor, please. Was it 120 or 240 to start? We're you able to keep the same RPM?

KBeitz

The motor was 220v ... It was the capacitors that kept blowing out. I just changed over to
a USA made motor. The wiring problem was all USA made motors needs 4 wires for FWD/REV
and the one that came with my lathe had only 3 wires. The only way was to keep one of the wires
hot all the time with the new motor. This should not be a problem unless something would get a short.
So I'm not going to show how I did this because it would not pass code but it works for me.

BROCKWOOD

At least your switches held up. I'm in the midst of upgrading my Grizzly to better switches. Japanese 120V motor from 2015 is 4 wire though. Go figure.

[6]
[5] [7]