Does anyone have a G1642 lathe?

Seems they sell a million of everything they have, yet you n I are solo on our choices around here. Show it off. Any frustrations or improvements along the way?

Didn't know such animal existed.

The motor was the only problem I've ever had so I changed it out. It wasn't an easy job.
Taiwan motors are wired so different. I also added a second lock leaver to the tail stock
to help keep it locked down and I added a 120-220 volt rec. to the front for thing like
grinders. I put on a 3 Axis Digital Readout and a tool tray. It has really been a good tool.

Well G1642 is now a collet. Do tell about your motor, please. Was it 120 or 240 to start? We're you able to keep the same RPM?

The motor was 220v ... It was the capacitors that kept blowing out. I just changed over to
a USA made motor. The wiring problem was all USA made motors needs 4 wires for FWD/REV
and the one that came with my lathe had only 3 wires. The only way was to keep one of the wires
hot all the time with the new motor. This should not be a problem unless something would get a short.
So I'm not going to show how I did this because it would not pass code but it works for me.

At least your switches held up. I'm in the midst of upgrading my Grizzly to better switches. Japanese 120V motor from 2015 is 4 wire though. Go figure.

I'm looking at a Busybee version of this. Looks exactly the same but cannot find a manual.

Do you have a link?

Any idea what the weight is?

Hi, l just picked one of these up and I'm adding a DRO along with a few other upgrades. A manual seems to be difficult to find for some reason but someone has them on Ebay.

Attachments

• 20231214_163310.jpg
    20231214_163310.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 10
Back