[Lathe] Does Anyone Have A Tiawanese Lathe Rml1440

Hi Mkjs
Thank you for your advice - yes Sunmaster sounds about right - I could not quite remember the name (knew it was Sun something).

The other machine I also considered at this early stage was the RML 1640 - a few things in it's favour over and above the larger swing.

But what other lathe manufacturers should I consider?

Mal

You have not mentioned the scope or use of the lathe, it would appear that your are looking for a machine with fairly substantial work envelope. Your are getting into the realm of much more expensive machines, and possibly the industrial type lathes and possibly CNC used market machines. The RML 14 or 16" swing would be the primary lathes in the new machine market, without spending a lot more. There is also the JET Elite lathes, but I have not heard nor seen any information on them beyond the brochure and hefty price. There are other manufactures, but as a hobbyist, I do know what would be reasonable alternatives.
http://innovatetec.com/pdfs/jet-elite-catalog.pdf

Hi Mkjs

I have found that when you buy a bigger envelope one finds more that will fit in that had not previously been planned.
But one example is - my son and I have old BMW motorcycles - so each cylinder is a separate casting. I would like to be able to rebore the cylinders using the lathe.
I would like to be able to re- machine my flywheels. An work on the fitment of reproduction engine parts which are sort of right but need to be fitted with some care (which requires machining accurately - given the parts may be spinning at several thousand rpm.
Here is a part being modified to fit - it is being held in a holding block made partly in the lathe and partly in the mill.

18244632151_b64f0e365a_c.jpg
The other situation is that when I buy tools I would like to buy the best I can afford rather than work with tools that are maybe good enough to do the job properly. Hope that throws some light on my needs and personality.

Thank you for the link to the Jet machinery - I wonder where those machines are made? If the machines are half as good as the catalogue - they will be very good.

Regards

Mal

27704629041_a009184d1c_z.jpg

This is a lathe I found on the internet - does anyone recognize it by another name?
1000mm (40 inch bed), 56mm spindle, swing over bed 380mm

The real question is in which country is it actually made?

Mal

Have not seen that lathe before. The Jet Elite is Taiwan manufacture, example of Jet Elite EGH-1740 which has a 3 1/8" spindle bore. Seriously expensive.
http://www.greenwayassoc.com/9419-new-jet-elite-17-x-40-spindle-bore-geared-head-lathe/
http://www.moore-tool.com/product.php?id=1376

One thing to consider if you are looking for a machine in the near future, Grizzly machines South Bend lathes are being closed out and most are around 50% off of their list price. Even with shipping and import tax, they may be cheaper. These are also made in Taiwan, and probably are variants on the Sunmaster machines.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-40-Lathe-220V-with-DRO/SB1037F?utm_campaign=zPage

Interesting. The new SB machines never seemed to be quite worth the premium that Grizzly was asking for them. Not all of them are from Taiwan--the 8k, at least, is from the PRC.

Looks like they're discontinuing the Heavy 13, the 14x40, the 16x40, and the Turn-Nado models,

Interesting. The new SB machines never seemed to be quite worth the premium that Grizzly was asking for them.
Agree on this, just did not seem to be worth the premium even for the less expensive range of machines and they did not offer much on the lower end. There are alternative machines for less, that being said from the few reviews I read, they were very nicely finished and quality machines. The Jet Elite machines seem to be of a similar quality and performance of the SB, but the Elite machines build/features seem to be unique to Jet.

The 8K is no longer listed as a model, the current SB lathes within the scope of discussion of this thread are made in Taiwan, just pointing out that they are now "affordable" and represent good value at the current deep discounts. If I did not have my current 1340GT lathe, I probably would have purchased the South Bend 13x30 or 13x40 lathe. I also looked at the SB knee mills, but ended up with an Acra/Sharp mill. There are other manufactures that sell larger machinery/lathes, but importing them into Canada may not be cost effective at the end of the day. A few examples:
https://eisenm.com/pages/engine-lathes
http://www.kentusa.com/lathes-2/manual-precision-series/
http://www.acramachinery.com/Manual_Machines/engine_lathes.htm

Mal, it may be worthwhile to email some of the vendors above on machines and shipping, look forward to hearing what you decide.

G'day Mal, I had faced the same dilema as you, the only lathes I could find in Adelaide to look at were chinese and not very nice. I also heard and read a lot of negative comments, I finally got onto a mob in Melbourne, Modern Tools, they carry a range of Taiwanese machines, after much discussion I ordered a Liang Dei LD 1216 this lathe is quite well specked and is available with imp or metric leadscrew and all the change gears to cut both. Alos saddle can be set up as left hand or right hand.

I have only had it about a month but am very pleased with the finish and everything is nice and tight but still quite smooth. this lathe is a little smaller than what you are talking about, but it's as big as I can fit into the available space. I have yet to do any serious work on it but believe it will, perform as expected.

Thanks Bob for your comments. I did look at the Liang Dei machines. Then I got all carried away and spent a fair bit more cash and have ordered a short bed Colchester Triumph 2000.
Having just replaced failed bearings in the headstock of my 7 year old (domestic use only) Hafco lathe - I really liked the idea of pressure fed headstock and the replaceable automotive style spin on/off oil filter.
Also the quality of finish on the Colchester and also the feature set (while not better than other Taiwanese lathes - was exactly what I had looked for).

The other selling point for 600 Machinery was I was able to put my hands on the lathes I liked (unlike the Sunmaster - which are apparently very good - but I would of had to fly to Melbourne to look at one in the flesh). They ran the machine for me, allowed me to ask a 1,000 questions. Look at several different models and also let me see the Liang Dei equivalent which was also on the showroom floor. They also deliver the lathe to my workshop, set it up and run a basic familiarisation package/training on site. So I loved the lathe, appreciated the customer service and also liked the fact that I have future support just a 100k down the road -

I also spoke with Andrew at Modern Machinery in Melbourne - they were very helpful and carry a Korean Lathe - which looked like a beauty but at $55,000 it was really outside my budget - and also just a bit big - but it looks like a machine that would work for 50 years without a rebuild. Modern Machinery offered to fly someone up to supervise unloading of a machine and I could not fault their willingness to help.

So the Colchester is supposed to arrive in Brisbane this week and I am madly getting my workshop cleaned out ready for it's arrival. My old lathe has gone to live with my son - so he is happy. Now just that process of buying new tooling to suit the larger lathe - out with the 12mm tooling and in with the 20 to 25mm tooling.

So just a short wait now, if all goes according to plan.

Mal

Back