[Lathe] Does Anyone Have A Tiawanese Lathe Rml1440

G'day Mal, looks like you've done well, ah to have a colchester, our local trade school here in Adelaide had half a dozen of them when I was an apprentice, very nice machines. I think my Liang Dei will serve me well. the people at modern tools are very obliging and didn't rush me, answered all my questions, and gave useful advice with out being pushy, very rare these days.

I don't think the LD is pressure fed oil and no filter. I'll just have to drain it once a year and refill. that should be fine I'm not going into production just a hobby. Since i retired I've missed the machines.

I wish I had room for a bigger machine but that is a fact of life and also no room for other machines , would love a decent mill, but again no room.

Bob, I also had to compromise on bed length, so mine will be 625mm between centres - rather than the standard Colchester 1250mm. Now I can leave the mill where it works best.

I suspect, a shed is never bid enough and compromises have to be made.

Mal

Well our new lathe arrived yesterday.
Here are a couple of pics of the arrival taken by my fantastic wife. _ she even put up a little welcome sign to our new family member.
Still waiting on the electrician to do the permanent wiring - so he is just running on a 3 phase lead for the moment.
Technician came up and levelled the lathe for us and now it is just a steep learning curve on controls - and I can get back to actually wearing away some metal.

Thanks for viewing

Mal
MAL_7150.jpg
MAL_7172.jpg MAL_7175.jpg MAL_7183.jpg

I love the welcome sign. Funny you never gained any weight during the gestation period. LOL What dream lathe to own , glad ,envious, to see he arrived. Most or I call my machines females. But it don't matter he's beautiful . You must be on cloud nine , having thoughts on all the projects to be built.
Thanks for sharing your delivery , good luck and keep him oiled and cleaned.

Electrician came yesterday and he is all permanently wired in now to his own switch board. The coolant is mixed and pretty much ready - just got to check the level - might need another 10 litres - I put in 25 litres. Just waiting on some extra hydraulic oil for the head stock - level seems a bit low. This machine has a pressure fed headstock which also involves a replaceable oil filter - I guess when they filled it up - after running and filling all the cavities - the sump level is below where it should ideally be. Oil should arrive today.

Yes projects are on the drawing board - some modest ones to start with, just to get the feel for the machine. I know thread cutting is involved in many of my projects, one way and another. However first up is to machine up a carriage stop - I saw a good one on the forum which I will most likely copy.

So back to work and thanks for sharing the birthing experience.

Mal

YUPP , get to know your baby. Learn all the controls and ins and outs. Make some cuts set up your tooling , put him through all ranges and feeds . Run the machine to help smooth out any rough spots. Getting to know how everything moves or engages. Every shop I ever worked in I familiarized myself with each machine I would be running . Even the same machine in another shop may have its own quirks . Cuts down on making mistakes . At least I think it does. Again he's a beautiful machine.

Electrician came yesterday and he is all permanently wired in now to his own switch board. The coolant is mixed and pretty much ready - just got to check the level - might need another 10 litres - I put in 25 litres. Just waiting on some extra hydraulic oil for the head stock - level seems a bit low. This machine has a pressure fed headstock which also involves a replaceable oil filter - I guess when they filled it up - after running and filling all the cavities - the sump level is below where it should ideally be. Oil should arrive today.

Yes projects are on the drawing board - some modest ones to start with, just to get the feel for the machine. I know thread cutting is involved in many of my projects, one way and another. However first up is to machine up a carriage stop - I saw a good one on the forum which I will most likely copy.

So back to work and thanks for sharing the birthing experience.

Mal
You finally got it. was a long process, but well worth it in the end. I hope you enjoy it

Yes all is up and running except i happen to be away at present so not able to use "Wally" - but soon I will be back at the pointy end.

Keep on turning

Mal

Mal. You should post an update on your beautiful Wally. I'd love to see and hear how he's holding up. Love to hear how accurate he is after a year plus in your shop.

Back