Does anyone have a top slide for an Atlas 10"?

@lordbeezer, The tall version is for the 12", but I could face mill the top and mill a new T- slot. I have the cutters I need for the job on hand, so that may be a good way to go. I need to know how much meat there is between the bottom of the casting and the lowermost part of the T- slot. By eyeball it should work. I need about 1.1" to make it work.

My other options are to make a plinth, which will do away with the compound, or to make a replacement steel compound slide. Both would be from scratch, and either way will take the same amount of work. The plinth would provide the best rigidity, but I use my compound enough to nix the idea.

Last edited:
Cost for 3x1.5" 1018 CR steel bar to make an improved top slide is $75 delivered. I could probably get the price down to $65, but no less on a small order like that.
Lordbeezer, what would you like for your 12" top slide delivered to WA 98337?

1.460. measuring from bottom of t slot to top of cutout on under side of slide looks to be .410 .if you can use it whatever shipping is and if you could make a small donation to your local spca or similar type place.. If you need any pictures or info on slide let me knowimage.jpeg

I have a top slide for a 10 inch atlas. It is little rusty but should clean up . Has a few nicks on the edge. I have the whole lathe it had set out in the weather before I got it . let me know if interested and I will try to post a picture .

Another option might be to use the compound slide and compound upper swivel off of a late Atlas 12". But I don't have a 10F/101.07403 carriage with which to determine whether the height would be usable on a 10". I know that it will physically fit because the late 12" uses the same milling attachment as the 10".

@wa5cab, is there a difference in the Cross slide and carriage on the 10" vs. 12" lathes? I (foolishly) assumed they were the same.

@lordbeezer, thank you. I will need to pull mine when I get home and compare it to your picture.

@weewill, I would love to take you up on your 10" slide. I ain't afraid of no rust. I'll contact you by PM after I sort it out.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

@pontiac428,

On the 10" and early 12" that have the pintel style compound swivel, both have the same cross slide and saddle. And the aprons differ only in the Craftsman variant having that Darwin interlock to prevent you from engaging cross and longitudinal feed at the same time. The one inch height difference is provided by the top of the compound slide being higher on the 12".

I removed the top slide yesterday and determined that I can't modify a 12" compound to fit a 10" lathe. The channel on the underside where the lead screw sits is cast differently; the 10" version has more meat under the t-slot boss.

That's odd. According to the latest parts lists for the 10F and 101.07403, every part from the cross slide up is the same except for the two compound slides. The slide that you have for the 12" should be an L3-303 if it came off of a late 3/8" bed 12". This is true back at least as far as the 101.07381, which happens to be the earliest 12" parts list that we have. And also true back to at least the 10D and 10E.

Back