Does anyone have a top slide for an Atlas 10"?

pontiac428

John Newman
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My Atlas top slide got chewed and repaired by a prior owner, and the undercutting on the tool post clamping surface is hurting rigidity. The repair was to grind a bevel over the chewed area, which is reducing support for the tool post by 25%. I'd like to replace it with one that isn't damaged.

Anyone have a spare they'd be willing to sell off?

Thanks!

Picture of yours? Or a casting number..

The casting number would be 9-303. However, in this one instance, if you buy just the slide, be sure that it is cast iron (magnetic) as the early ones were Zamak, which in this case didn't hold up well. As you are more likely to find the complete assembly than just the slide, just make sure that it has a double-handle crank instead of a knob on the compound feed screw.

I'll check the one I have today..its the taller looking version

The taller looking version is probably L3-303, which is for all of the 3/8" bed 12". The rest of the parts down to and including the carriage saddle assembly are the same as on the 10F. The Apron is almost the same except for the plunger, spring &
spacer that interlock the longitudinal and cross feed and the hole that they fit in.

I considered modifying a more common (and usually cheaper) 12" top slide, but that is a lot of material to hog out. More so, that is a lot of messy cast iron to hog out. Photo inbound, stand by.

Here are the illustrations. I'd really like to have full support under my tool post.
4cf8c6d8952d408bd2065857d7ff01ab.jpg
1e7738a2b9d9ed95df21fc35a85c5124.jpg

I made my own replacement top slide. If you have a mill or use of one, I suggest you do the same. Another member made a longer one to improve stability and had great success in doing so.
Pierre

No casting numbers on the one I have..somewhat taller than yours...could you bolt a extension to front for support?image.jpeg

Meant to say bolt extension on your slide..let me know if you can use this one

Back