Does anyone have any plans for a Gerstner Style tool chest?

danwsmith7

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have any plans for a Gerstner Style tool chest. The only plans I could find you had to buy. For something like this I hate buying plans because there not always what you bargain for. Any help Would be appriciated. Thanks -Dan

Does anyone have any plans for a Gerstner Style tool chest. The only plans I could find you had to buy. For something like this I hate buying plans because there not always what you bargain for. Any help Would be appriciated. Thanks -Dan

Dan, I found some free plans on the web, I think from Lowe's. Not exactly a Gerstner, but a starting point. I haven't built it yet, but it's on my list.

Attachments

• ToolChest.pdf
    458 KB · Views: 790

Did you have a look at this set of plans? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121259035398

At a total cost of $15.00 for the plans plus shipping, you cannot complain. I have a set of these plans, and they could easily be modified to make the chest a different size. The chest in these plans is 26" wide, 16 1/4" high, and 10 1/2" deep. There are eleven drawers. It is a very complete set of plans, and includes a bill of materials as well as some construction notes. There are a total of 13 pages.

Will I share my set of plans? No, and for a number of very good reasons:
1. They have a copyright on them. I copyright my work and hope that others will respect that copyright. In turn, I respect the copyrights of others.
2. It takes a lot of work to create a set of drawings. Many hours go into producing what appears to be a simple set of drawings. If the designer chooses to sell his plans to compensate himself for his time investment, that is his choice, and the rest of us should respect that.
3. Compared to the cost of the materials and the cost of the machinery you need to build such a tool chest, the cost of the plans is a drop in the bucket.

ON EDIT: I did not create the plans for the tool chest, but I did purchase a set. The plans that I created and shared were for a no fog coolant sprayer. Sorry for any confusion!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fine looking chest you have there. Now if I could only machine it from aluminum billet. Haha

Master of unfinished projects

Did you have a look at this set of plans? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121259035398

Terry, I looked at them and put in a bid. Did you build a box from them? If you did, how did you like the result?
I don't think anyone wants, or expects you to violate copyright, just looking for plans/ideas. A lot of woodworking sites have downloadable free plans.

Chuck

Chuck, I have not yet built a chest from them, but I do expect to at some point in the future.

I do not have a planer, so I would either need to purchase one or would need to purchase my lumber and then have someone plane it all to the proper thickness for me. A good friend of mine owns a cabinet shop, so getting it all planed should not be a problem. I have given thought to purchasing a good used planer, or maybe even a new one, and could always sell it later if I have no further use for it.

I do like the plans, but I think I would prefer a chest with slightly deeper dimensions, 12 or 14 inches deep instead of 10.

The photos that the ebay seller has are of a very nicely done chest, and I am impressed with its appearance.

My only worry is that I might get started on the project, and then goof it up or lose interest. Woodworking is NOT my forte. On the other hand, knowing that I've got a fair bit invested in lumber might just be enough to spur me on to completion regardless of what setbacks I might encounter.

Well another disappearing post for me. This morning I posted on this and it has disappeared. Oh well ...

Grizzly has a plan that sells for 7 or 8 dollars. I can't remember if it is 11 or 13 drawer. I did buy one, but have not started on it yet. I did build one some time back that was designed for wood working (larger drawers). The plan came from Woodsmith.

Hope this helps.

Paul

I built these two a few years ago for my woodworking tools. Nothing fancy but maybe the case box joints. If you have a table saw or a router table you can cut the box joints. Pine, plywood and tung oil finish. The bottom one is 24" wide x 12" deep x 8" high. Top is 20" w x 9" d x 14" h. The drawers just ride on wood strips dadoed into the sides. Now that I have my first lathe I guess I'll have to build more for my metalworking tools.lathe 006.jpglathe 007.jpglathe 004.jpg

Jack C.

Well another disappearing post for me. This morning I posted on this and it has disappeared. Oh well ...

Grizzly has a plan that sells for 7 or 8 dollars. I can't remember if it is 11 or 13 drawer. I did buy one, but have not started on it yet. I did build one some time back that was designed for wood working (larger drawers). The plan came from Woodsmith.

Hope this helps.

Paul

lathe 004.jpg lathe 006.jpg lathe 007.jpg

I have some wormy chestnut from my dads shop that I want to build one from but not sure if I have enough.

Back