Does anyone have one of these?

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Not really a poll. I have a good reason for asking. Do you have one of these:

This is a Mitutoyo series 515 Height Master, also sometimes called (incorrectly) a Cadillac gage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a poll. I have a good reason for asking. Do you have one of these:

This is a Mitutoyo series 515 Height Master, also sometimes called (incorrectly) a Cadillac gage.

I've never even seen one and we've got everything and anything in our CMM/inspection room at work... What's it do and how does it work?

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Crudely described, it's a stack of 1" jo blocks wrung properly together to stack up with very little error. The entire stack is on a precision lead screw that drives a full 5 digit DRO (if I remember right, but pretty sure it's 5 full digits). It can be used for several things, mostly old school now days. You can set bore gages with it, if you have the accessory kit, you can use it to calibrate height gages, as well as transfer or compare measurements. It's kind of like stacking up a handful of blocks and using a height gage with a DTI to do comparison readings against parts under inspection, except it's adjustable. You can use it to cal/cert dial indicators and a few other instruments. There are other uses, but perhaps more obscure or I have forgotten them. In the old days, every inspection department had one.

I was going to say it was a valve installed height and deck measuring device. Woulda been wrong, but I was guessing anyway. Looks like a cool tool to have if you need a precision height measure. Being a tool junky has it's benefits too. Back in the day they had a lot of tools that most folks today would not even have a clue what they do, let alone how to operate them properly. Too bad our schools have removed shop and industrial arts from the curriculum. Lots of guys in my generation went that way rather than going to college. I went that way and don't think I did bad in the overall scheme of things 40 years later. Thanks for the cool tool and interest picquer. Have a great weekend.
WCB

I bought a surplus one that is "metric". Haven't really used it, but looks good setting on the surface plate.:))

I sold the one I had about 10 years ago. I also had the 6" riser base and wood case, for it. It was cool but I didn't need it and I bought other, more useful tooling, with the cash from it.

Charlie W.

The reason I asked about this is that I ended up with a 6" riser, with case, that I'll never use. I have no intention of purchasing a Height Master, so I thought if anyone had one, I could find a home for the riser I have. It's been out of the case, but never been used.

This one is indeed a "Cadillac Gage" manufactured by the Cadillac Gage Company in Michigan. In my days in the trade I used one many times to check and recheck height gages. That is all we used them for Tony.

$(KGrHqVHJBkE+Nlj6g4,BP38rGq-r!~~60_14.jpg $(KGrHqNHJBkE+OMofz8PBP38qdlC1!~~60_14.jpg

Better shot of the tag.

"Billy G" :))

$(KGrHqZHJDoE+PSb,ylsBP38qHTkT!~~60_57 (600 x 450).jpg

Yup, that's the real McCoy. It's kind of like Coke....no matter what it is. What kind of Coke you want?.....Oh, I'll have a Dr. Pepper. Or Kleenex. Or a few other things. I think it's flattering that one name brand product becomes the term used for all products of the same function.

I have used one to settle many, many arguments between height gages, even the B&S MicroHite and Trimos units. It's more accurate than either of them.

Back