Does anyone have one of these?

You have a very good memory Frank. That is what it was designed for.

"Billy G" :))

They weren't always used in inspection rooms. The last company I worked at had 6 of the Mitutoyo versions sitting on surface plates around the shop. We used them for measuring all the stuff we ground, checking over roll pins to locate angles, checking of gage balls and such. The mold industry, depending on what types of injection molds you make still uses a lot tools that would be considered old school now. Ram EDM machines, Manual surface grinders, Cadillac gages, Newbould indexers, Harig Grind-alls, Precise heads, Volstro heads and many other oddball pieces of equipment. We used to build molds for the electronics industry that were toleranced at +.0000/ -.0002, needed to be put together in temp controlled rooms.
Things like this depend on what type of machine work you do as to if there useful, common or not.

That's very true. Either you need one or not. Nowadays most manufacturing is done without the old style instruments.

I have been thinking I should sell the riser. I don't have the Height-Master, and no need or plans to get one. It's just sitting, in a nice case, wasting space and collecting dust. If anyone knows of someone who needs one, let me know.

They weren't always used in inspection rooms. The last company I worked at had 6 of the Mitutoyo versions sitting on surface plates around the shop. We used them for measuring all the stuff we ground, checking over roll pins to locate angles, checking of gage balls and such. The mold industry, depending on what types of injection molds you make still uses a lot tools that would be considered old school now. Ram EDM machines, Manual surface grinders, Cadillac gages, Newbould indexers, Harig Grind-alls, Precise heads, Volstro heads and many other oddball pieces of equipment. We used to build molds for the electronics industry that were toleranced at +.0000/ -.0002, needed to be put together in temp controlled rooms.
Things like this depend on what type of machine work you do as to if there useful, common or not.

You're right. Some companies used them in and around different machines. I hear you about the die work tolerances, I've seen men get carried away with their polishing, and scrap expensive dies. I got lucky over the years and never destroyed any.:whistle:

I don't have one but right now on the santa maria cl site under tools in Lompoc there is a mitutoyo height master 515/310 foe sale looks like you need a match for your 6" base bill

Back