Does anyone here have any experience with g code translation programs

WOW! What a mess. :eek: I would assume that the files can be scanned for whatever virus may be attached, but who knows. The only way you can really protect the internal network is to air gap it. The $250K is nothing compared to the potential loss of many years worth of CAD & G-code files and the possible loss of CNC operating systems, not to mention the lost production time.

I have spare backup drives (not connected) sitting in all of my computers and backup current critical files to USB sticks as I create the files. Worst case I might lose a days worth of data. As far as financial stuff, I have taken what steps I can to protect that and have dedicated cards I use for online purchases and are limited to amount without a phone call to my bank, and my bank will not make an outbound wire transfer without an additional layer of security. Working with a small local bank has its advantages.

All of the above does not protect me 100%, but at least I have a fighting chance.

Last edited:
I just found out after they hit the bank account they left ransomware.

They just came and got my USB drives, and may scan the okumas. I don't know how they will do that, but I guess the virus can hide anywhere. And I have used the drives on the okumas after the hack.

I asked about our personal info and just got a blank stare.

When it rains it pours. Best of luck. :bawling:

We found out it's the RYUK ransomware. They pulled all the hard drives out of our computers and rebuilt the server from an offline backup from a few days before the attack. We have no email, can't access customers orders, and can't get our code files to run the cnc's. It will be weeks before all the computers are up again.

And awhile ago two black suburbans showed up and 4 guys in black suits got out and went into the office. They had government plates on the suburbans.

The men in black are here. Not funny I guess, just never saw anyone from the FBI before.

Alloy,
How did you go with CNC XChange? did you ever get it worked out?

Yes we went with that. Fought it up until our servers got hacked and had to wipe everything. The guy that sold us the two seats would only give us one seat after that and the relationship went down hill after that. We never got it working right. Had to do a lot of hand editing and not being familiar with the okuma code it just wasted too much time.

I had a stroke in February and not working there anymore but we talk a lot and they have abandoned the software. They are now reprogramming everything.

Back