Does anyone know about this horizontal mill?

r3292c

Registered
Registered
Small horizontal mill. Table is about 20" by 5". Longitudinal travel is 12". MT3 in a spindle.
00N0N_dg16h9uuxS_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_8hWcVcr3hRP_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_lgHm2YLrbFw_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20190101_113657041.jpg

IMG_20190101_113721607.jpg

Mate, Yes, I know all about that one. I threw it overboard, back in '68, when we passed over the Mindanao Trench., up near the South China Sea.
Supposedly never expected to see it again.
How did you get it?
Was there a set of Golf Clubs with it..??????
If you have the clubs, then please keep them, ( they didn't work all that well) but I'll do you a favour, and let you Air Freight the spindle and table, back to me, here in Rockhampton Qld.
Sorry 'bout that, only the clubs were supposed to go, but I got excited, and well, you know how it is. Love the sound of a good splash.
Mark Needham.
PS. It was a spectacular slash, actually.
PPS. when they get back here, I'll tell you the rest of the story.
PPS. Sorry, there is no reward.

Mr r3292c - how did you find it? I'm sure it is a great story! - If you tell yours, I'll tell you mine... I picked up a Horiz mill this fall and will tell the story soon...

The size reminds me of my Jefferson mill that I had, although I'm sure it is not a Jefferson.

I found it on a craiglist in Phoenix. The price was good, so I took it. The previous owner knows nothing about it, no labels available. The lead screws are imperial, 10 tpi.

Nice! I was at a guys's shop who was moving and giving away lots of steel bits: too expensive to move a ton of steel... We got talking, which lead to sharing war stories about machining, and we had the exact same wierd lathe, and more talk and even more BS... After a while, he said he was reluctant to move his horizontal mill. I said if I could afford it I'd give it a good home here. $400 later, it was mine!

[Pictures will follow when it gets reassembled: I had to move it in parts and photos of cardboard boxes just aren't sexy]

Back