Does anyone make a 0.5X1.0X1.5 block?

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title says, does anyone make a block like a 123 block only half the size at 0.5" x 1.0" x 1.5"?

This would come in handy on my smaller machines.

Actual size need not matter. I made some during my apprenticeship, (rapidly approaching 50 years ago) I used 1 by 2 O1, three inches long, drilled lightening holes, hardened and ground three of them.All exactly the same size. I dunno what the dimensions are, if I ever measured them I don't remember.

I did the same, back in the mid 1960s in my apprenticeship, from leftover tool steel scraps in the shop, only difference, I made them to size, quite a challenge on a 16 X 72 Mattison surface grinder with 20 X 2" wheel of 46 grit --- I have not compared them to Jo blocks for size, but the mike right on.

Hmmmm ... Start with 1" x ½" precision ground flat stock???

Hmmmm ... Start with 1" x ½" precision ground flat stock???
To allow for heat treating and finish grinding, it needs to be oversize on all dimensions; I would not make blocks that were soft, as they would burr up too easily.

I have seen some smaller than 123s on ebay but I'm pretty sure they were shop made. They do make metric 10-20-40 (.393"x.787"x1.57") blocks though.

I don't have the means to grind or heat treat. I was hoping for a commercial version.

I guess I could try milling one out of mild steel. I could probably get it to within a thousandth.

I don't have grinding or heat treating equipment, either. That's why I was suggesting the precision ground stock as a starting material.

I did a web search for 10-20-40 blocks, got this one worthwhile result amongst a bunch of oddballs:

Back