Does anyone make a 0.5X1.0X1.5 block?

Metric blocks? That's a thought although I would prefer Imperial.

I looked up tool steel rectangular bars at onlinemetals.com and the tolerances aren't that tight. Thickness tolerances is +/- 0.001" and width tolerance is 0.000" to 0.005".

I decided to make my own blocks. I'm pretty happy with the results. I was able to keep tolerances to within about 0.001". I would prefer better than that, but I don't have a surface grinder. The 1-2-3 blocks are there for comparison. I used my Tormach SuperFly cutter for the surfaces and a 3/4" end mill for the sides on the 1018 steel.

IMG_5599.jpg

These are metric but available in small sizes:

Those look good, but they don't list a tolerance.

I started on that project some years ago, but got distracted and never finished it. I was having some problems with scalloping on the surface of the blocks when I cut them on the Taig mill.

I did, however, buy parabolic #7 and #21 bits for 10-32 clearance and tap holes. Never let actually working on a project get in the way of buying tools for it!

To really do it correctly, you'd want to use some D2 steel and and heat treat and grind then. Starrett makes a convenient 1/2-in by 1-in precision ground stock, but a tad pricey.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back