Does anyone own a Grizzly G0720R ? ? ?

I just checked the manual on grizzly's website. The parts diagram on page 46 shows that the spindle is belt driven which explains the low noise. It would also mean that there are no plastic gears.

MK​

Hey Coolidge,
I saw you listed a dust collector in your list of equipment. Is that a nice thing to have with a mill and lathe? Reason I ask is there are two for sale locally for $120 from some kind of factory. they were pretty good size but the price sounded good.
Just curious.
I don't look down or talk down to anyone guys. If you know how to turn it on you know more than me. :)
Best,

Houston

Hey Coolidge,
I saw you listed a dust collector in your list of equipment. Is that a nice thing to have with a mill and lathe? Reason I ask is there are two for sale locally for $120 from some kind of factory. they were pretty good size but the price sounded good.
Just curious.
I don't look down or talk down to anyone guys. If you know how to turn it on you know more than me. :)
Best,

Houston

I hesitate to say yes, it will gobble up things like a wood screw no problem so yeah it would make chips disappear in a big hurry. But I don't like the idea of oil or coolant getting into my cyclone its definitely not designed for that. I guess if you were machining dry without lubricants or coolant. Just make sure its a cyclone design like mine where the chips fall out into the drum and don't travel through the impeller, some cyclones are designed that way. I can tell you its very good at what it does, I cleaned it out for the first time recently and was impressed by the fine dust in the drum, virtually nothing makes it past the cyclone into the plastic collection bag or filter and that's saw dust so metal chips being heavy by comparison would probably be 99.9% in the drum. I will only be using my cyclone for wood and plastic, I won't risk a fire using it on metal I have a shop vac for my lathe.

I'm not so sure the plastic gear issue is that big of a deal. I crashed the cutter on my G0704 and wrecked that gear one day, but the biggest issue was they weren't in stock for a number of months. When they finally were, I bought three and told my friend with the same mill to buy at least one. Of course, now that I have spares I haven't wrecked it since. It was easy to change, too.

If something has a sacrificial gear of that sort, just make sure you order an extra when you buy the mill. Or, you could consider a G0729 for about the same price (and it's made in Taiwan so the quality is supposed to be better.) For a bit more you can get the larger version of that one, too. Then you've got an actual knee unless you want/need a benchtop mill.

Grizzly's customer service has been outstanding when I needed it, but I don't think you'll really get much help making a decision. They sell a zillion things and never seemed *that* well informed about anything I ever asked about. Users (like us) are way more on top of it.

My plastic gear is holding up just fine. But then I'm not burying a 1/2" end mill in 4140 at a .4" DOC either. Not sure what the big deal is? I will probably upgrade to a belt drive when it becomes available, but that is for the rpm increase more than anything else.

Bill

Gentlemen,

I am interested in the Grizzly G0720R. I know its more $$$ than their other models and maybe that's why no one seems to comment on them.

I bought a G0720R several years ago and I'm generally happy with it. For my home shop it does everything I have asked it to do. Yes, it is not a Bridgeport, but I can't get a Bridgeport into my basement shop. I just added a DRO and this make it a dream to work with.

I agree its a bit pricey, but I got my money's worth out of it. Much more machine than the other Mill-Drills out there.

If you go this route, Think DRO, and get the X-axis power drive. Also, the quill scale is junk, as is the angle gauge. Also this thing is heavy, be prepared to deal with about 600 lbs.

Would I do it again? I think so.

I have a Grizzly G0722R and I love it, I installed a EL-700 DRO PRO 4 axis DRO with magnetic scales and it is great, I have one axis for the Y (head) and one axis for the U (quill) and they can be combined for one readout or shown separately on my screen then I also have the X and Y axises making 4 total on my mill. I build miniature engines and do gun work on my mill and for the price it has served me well. I will likely purchase a new Grizzly lathe one of these days but right now I use my 1937 South Bend for turning material... One thing different from the G0720 and the G0722 is the power feed for the X axis and you might consider the option before purchasing a machine.

I have purchased 3 of the G0720R mills and none have any7 drive or motor controller. I waqs hoping to find information about a replacement motor and controller.

Guys, here is something to consider. For nearly 10 years I worked with a harbor freight round column mill. It was what I could afford and what I could fit in the space I had. When I built the new shop I bought my PM 935 and I am very happy with it. I listed the HF mill on Craigslist locally and had a call in a couple hours wanting to come see it. Turns out he lives down the street. He came and looked, pealed the cash out of his pocket and happily loaded the thing in his truck. I spoke with him a few weeks later when I found a few wrenches that fit that mill. He came and picked them up and brought me 5 "doubles" of 5C collets he had for his lathe. He was thrilled to have the HF machine, it fit his budget and his basement. People are limited by all kinds of things, Space, Money, Time, Interest, Experience and Preference.

I like this forum because when I needed help figuring out the 300+ page manual that came with my DRO a member made it simple by telling me to turn to page x and to buy the switches found on site XX. He helped and did not judge and that was what got me coming back, then I realized I could help some new people with my experience and training. This is a cool place with a lot of talented people as members, just as important there are lots of new people. That says to me machining is not a dying profession. If some guy can afford a 6x9 HF lathe and a drill press and get his 12 year old son interested and excited about the projects they make together we may have a toolmaker in the making, that's one less job that goes unfilled, maybe one shop that keeps the doors open. I fell in love with making things from metal as a kid; I could not tell you who had what batting average on the baseball team but I was down the street helping a guy with a race car fix and make parts and I would not trade that for anything.

Lets keep this a friendly place and a helping place, there is enough drama in the world. Our shops are our sanctuaries, I vote we keep this a gathering place for those with passion for the game.

The opinion expressed is mine and is worth exactly what I charge for it. I did however, need to share this.

Weell I now have the G0720R up and running. I tried to repair the controller board and got it to work somewhat but not properly and I smoked the thermistors which were the problem in the first place. I abandoned the stock controller and motor and purchased a Leeson 3HP 3 phase motor and a Huan Yang VFD and I made a motor end plate mount from aluminum and it mounted very well and looks great. What a monster machine. This thing will mill steel like my other mill machines aluminum. I still have the other two machines, brand new without drives if anyone is interested. Keep in mind these machines are close to 1000 pounds and I live in Arkansas. I really like this mill.

Back