Does anyone use one of these

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wondering if anyone has/does use one of these? I've never used collets on a lathe, but I'm thinking it might be an addition I can put to use.

5C Chuck.jpg

I had one at my shop that I retired from; they are a good thing, but not fast in operation.

Having read the afore mentioned thread I'd like to add something not addressed.

To insert a collet one must crank the tar out of the drive screw until the collet is nearly seated before inserting and tightening on the work. There are collet holders (Sjogren makes one) that have a hard rubber ring around to OD of the chuck. You spin this ring until the collet is seated, easier than a T wrench. Unless you're doing considerable production work, normal use changes collets often, the T wrench gets old fast.

Yes, I use mine all the time. But before you buy you might take a look at this, https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rant-5c-collets-chuck-d1-4-cam-lock.23838/

Not saying you shouldn't buy one, but that was my experience. Many people have had good luck right out of the box, that was not so in my case.

Thanks for the link Jim. I never gave buying a plain back a thought. Makes perfect sense, considering the possible situation. The one I found on Ebay is 150 bucks, so it might be a candidate, even if it requires some extra work.

Having read the afore mentioned thread I'd like to add something not addressed.

To insert a collet one must crank the tar out of the drive screw until the collet is nearly seated before inserting and tightening on the work. There are collet holders (Sjogren makes one) that have a hard rubber ring around to OD of the chuck. You spin this ring until the collet is seated, easier than a T wrench. Unless you're doing considerable production work, normal use changes collets often, the T wrench gets old fast.

I was wondering if that were the case.

Thanks for the link Jim. I never gave buying a plain back a thought. Makes perfect sense, considering the possible situation. The one I found on Ebay is 150 bucks, so it might be a candidate, even if it requires some extra work.

I was wondering if that were the case.
That is all true, you have to do a lot of cranking to change collets, I lessened the problem by making a crank to speed things up somewhat.

Back