Does having a mill/drill obsolete your drill press?

yota

Registered
Registered
just got my 1st mill. do you guys with mills use your drill press a lot less? it seems obvious that you would. is my beautiful 75 year old Delta 17 in drill press going to be ignored now LOL?
9-18-21.jpg

I still use mine. If I have something set up on the mill and I need to drill a hole. Also I use it tons for deburring holes. I will pretty much just leave a countersink in it and just hole the piece up to it. Obviously I use it a lot less but I still do. When I first got my mill I offered to sell it to my buddy, he didn’t bite and now it has came in handy a bunch. Until I am 100% out of room I will keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My poor mill/drill doesn't get used much now that I've got my knee mill. My drill press sits in the basement sad and alone....still, it is nice to be able drill a hole when I don't have to go out to the shop in the blowing snow....

If you have the space , keep it . I'll teach my daughter how to use a drill press , maybe not a Bridgeport . Maybe she can learn later and will put the mill to use , but safety comes first ,

In addition to a Bridgeport mill I have 3 drill presses. One floor model and 2 bench top models. They all get used on a regular basis. If I need super accurate hole size and spacing I use the mill. If they're clearance holes or ones that don't have to be spaced within a couple thousandths a drill press gets the job. They are also used regularly for countersinking and deburring.

Same here. The mill/drill almost always has some long term project clamped to the table. I drill a lot of holes between clamping something down, and unclamping it. The drill press always has a job to do around here.

There have been previous near-identical threads. You have unique requirements and limitations that only you know. I got rid of my drill press because it was worn out and I didn't have space for both, but that's me, not you.

Come on, man, make up your own mind!

I have 3 drill presses. The original is a Delta high school model about 50 yeras old. You have to arm-strong the table height. My wife got tired of asking me to do that so she got an el cheapo HF bench top one and then found out it was too limited. She then got a nice Jet desktop one she uses all the time. I use the big one for quick holes, countersinking and second operation stuff. I have a tapping adapter that i will be using soon. It's in the plans to make a table hoist first. The HF one is going to my daughters place for when I have to fix things.

Back