Does Mr Trump's 25 % tariff apply to the mini lathe

TQA222

Registered
Registered
I am planning to buy a 7 x 12 mini lathe next Feb. from Harbor Freight in Miami.. or maybe anywhere else in the USA. It will be exported immediately to Grenada in the West Indies.

Does this 25% extra tax apply to mini lathes.?

Can I claim it back on export of the item. ?

Is there a reliable supplier outside the USA?

I believe the tarriff's are on imports, not exports, so it would be HB that pays them and passes them on to you.

Yes it does. When the tariffs went into effect, vendors like Little Machine Shop, Grizzly, and Micromark put up announcements explaining the price increase. A lot of the items on Little Machine Shop, e.g. the HiTorque 7x16, include a note detailing how much of the price is due to tariffs.

Since the lathe is going to be delivered outside the US, check out the Sieg distributor list.

Thank you for the heads up on the Sieg list. Unfortunately there is no other supplier that will work for me to the shipping issue.

I guess I will just stay with Harbor Freight [ and hope for a 25 % off coupon.

Thank you for the heads up on the Sieg list. Unfortunately there is no other supplier that will work for me to the shipping issue.

I noticed that Travers is on that list as a supplier for Mexico. You might email them and see if they will work with you. Their OTMT stuff is a bit pricier than Harbor Freight, though, so you may not end up saving money.

Well it looks like the best deal I can get is Harbor Freight [Miami] for the lathe and use Tropical shipping's consolidation service to get it and allmthe other bits and pieces down to Grenada.

Then I will have the joys of working with customs to find appropriate import codes for stuff they will not have seen on an every day basis.

Back