Doesn't exist? -- 8 TPI threaded chuck to fit an 80mm HF faceplate (w/ picture)

bcrimmins

Registered
Registered
I have searched and searched... and searched -- Google, Amazon, Ebay. I cannot find a source for an 8 TPI threaded chuck to fit my 80mm HF faceplate. It's bizarre. Here is a 3d rendering of what I'd hoped to find. Has anyone seen a real-life version of one of these? It seems like it would be a super useful mod for HF mini lathe owners but apparently I'm the only one who wants one???

1643232566077.png

What diameter is the threaded portion?

That looks like a strange configuration. What is the model no. of the lathe?

The standards are either 1" or 1.25". I'd take either one!
The threads are 8 TPI.
An issue with what the drawing that is shown is that a chuck that screws on to it won't allow stock through it. My mini-lathe has a spindle bore of 20mm, which I have used that way a lot. Are you having issues with sourcing a new chuck? What's the motivation for having such a unicorn?

That looks like a strange configuration. What is the model no. of the lathe?
My lathe is the HF 93212. That picture is just a sketch of roughly what the relevant chuck would look like... if it existed.

An issue with what the drawing that is shown is that a chuck that screws on to it won't allow stock through it. My mini-lathe has a spindle bore of 20mm, which I have used that way a lot. Are you having issues with sourcing a new chuck? What's the motivation for having such a unicorn?
Yes, that picture is just a sketch of roughly what the relevant chuck would look like... if it existed. For sure, you'd hope that the real unicorn would have a pass through.

The motivation is to support the plethora of alternative chucks that are available but are only designed to fit on a threaded spindle. To wit, this ring mandrel chuck.

1643238817494.png

Ok, now we can see the motivation! Presuming that your lathe has a taper. Aren't there similar ring mandrels that use a taper instead? Perhaps you could make one? Or use a straight shank mandrel in a MT2 chuck?

How about this one? MT2 expanding ring mandrel

Last edited:
I'm also kind of surprised there are no threaded adaptors for the flange mount lathes. 1"-8 and 1.25"-8 are common wood working lathe spindles, 3/4"-16, 1"-10 are common small metal lathe spindles (Sherline, Taig, Atlas/Craftsman 6"), 1.5"-8 is common on 9-10" lathes.

That would certainly open up a ton of tooling options for the 7-11" import lathes that usually have the flange mount.

Back