Dog breeds?

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Pondering the possibility of getting a puppy. Not ready to take the plunge but the thought has been tickling the back of my brain for a while. We're both retired and have 40 acres of farm. I know several folks here have dogs that they are fond of. So, any suggestions as to breeds? Lab has crossed my mind, but not set.

We did have a dog a few years ago that was a stray. (Showed up covered in fire ant bites.) Gave it away after 6 months as it was just not a good fit. So I'm inclined to be cautious and thoughtful. I do realize that raising and training a dog is a significant commitment.

Current thinking is a medium sized breed (certainly big enough to not be coyote bait). Something that can be an indoor dog when we're in, and follow us around the farm (eventually) without being kept on a leash. Yes, that does take some training, as well as lots of socialization. Not looking for a guard dog, but we had a doberman as a kid that followed us everywhere.

if you have lots of space and want an active dog, anything with sheep dog or border collie in will be great.

if you want to give up your couch, get a greyhound.

we're currently fostering a SUPER lovely white lab-like puppy, who might be a good fit. I don't think she has any applications in yet.
opal 1.jpgopal 2.jpgopal 3.jpg

there's also her sister, Pebbles, who's a complete loon and a cross between a mop and a boulder
pebbles 1.jpgpebbles 2.jpgpebbles 3.jpg

both super affectionate and loving, Pebbles is more up front about it but Opal (white one) is more of a couch dog and loves snuggling.

I have to say, and I hope this does not sound too harsh, the fact that you gave away a dog after 6 months is a red flag that maybe you should not get another dog.
Your comment does strike me as "too harsh".
He said the previous dog was a stray, therefore not a thoughtful purchase.
He didn't mention the stray's breed, condition (other than ant bites), temperament or personality.
I imagine the stray had a pretty decent 6 months (and left not covered in fire ant bites).

If you follow Randal's threads, I don't see how he could be considered thoughtless or impetuous.

Let's take a "cup half full" view here and enjoy all the doggie pictures.

Last edited:
I have to say, and I hope this does not sound too harsh, the fact that you gave away a dog after 6 months is a red flag that maybe you should not get another dog.
Not an unreasonable concern. We were not looking for a dog at the time, it just showed up in the farmyard. Quite possibly dumped by the previous owner. We were both working at the time and knew we did not have the time or energy to raise a dog, but we fostered it rather than turning it over to the county shelter.

I've always had mixed breed rescue mutts in the 25-50 lb range, but if I were going to pop for a specific breed, it would be golden retriever, border collie or Aussie shepherd. Not necessarily in that order.

Hope you find a keeper.

Tom

I’ve had dogs most of my life and while breeds do have something to do with what you can expect owners have more to do with how a dog is IMHO. I judge dogs individually. Most of our dogs were strays that stayed growing up so a lot of mutts. I can’t stand a stupid dog and I don’t think you can judge that by breed. And I stay away from the dog dejour as this always messes up a breed. We had an Irish setter we bought from breeder with AKC papers right as they were becoming “it”. He was a beautiful dog but a total handful until he was 4yrs which is true of all hunting dogs. Then he became an absolute joy with a ton of training. Ive not seen a true show setter like him since the early 70’s. German Shepard s are a mess. Same thing with some labs, both suffering from hip dysphasia and a host of other in breeding probs. Same with mini Schnauzer, they get diabetes:(

If you want a shadow dog Doberman and Rottie are great farm dogs. But only if you want them with you all the time. But if you are worried about coyotes then no matter what the breed you need two because there are few dogs that can handle a more than one. And the dog needs to be smart enough to not get lured away as where there’s one coyote, there’s more lurking near by.

Dogs are both great and a heck of a lot of work. I love them. There's times that will test your patience, but most of the time, they are both your shadow and your best friend. I had dogs for many years, but right now we're dog less for a rest.

The last couple of adopted dogs ended up dying tragically six months apart and it was really tough on us. One died from lung cancer (second hand smoke?, we don't smoke,) and the other from bloat from a regular dental cleaning. For the later dog, we didn't recognize the bloat (twisted stomach) because the dog was coming out from anesthesia. Couldn't save him. Still makes me sad. Have a background screen on my computer with his picture looking at me.

It's important for you and or your wife, (hopefully both) to bond with the dog. My adopted pups were afraid of most men, maybe because they were abused. The dog we got from a breeder, however really bonded with me and was glad to hangout together. However, he didn't bond that well with my wife. He wasn't mean or anything, but he clearly liked me more. He did have initial issues with being the alpha in the house, but I helped him see the light. Was a great companion for many years.

If the dog doesn't bond with the family, or the other way around, the dog isn't a good fit. Not sure if their basic personalities are alterable, to be honest, so in my opinion, it would be best to move on. Others may differ.

Gee, got me thinking about getting a dog...

I have 3 Shelties here Rab . Smartest , yet the dumbest dogs alive . :grin: When I take them up to the camp in NY with 45 acres , they have a BLAST ! By far , my favorite breeds are the Sheep dogs / Border collies . They do need activity though , so if they can run wild on your farm , one to think about .

I’ve had dogs most of my life and while breeds do have something to do with what you can expect owners have more to do with how a dog is IMHO. I judge dogs individually. Most of our dogs were strays that stayed growing up so a lot of mutts. I can’t stand a stupid dog and I don’t think you can judge that by breed. And I stay away from the dog dejour as this always messes up a breed. We had an Irish setter we bought from breeder with AKC papers right as they were becoming “it”. He was a beautiful dog but a total handful until he was 4yrs which is true of all hunting dogs. Then he became an absolute joy with a ton of training. Ive not seen a true show setter like him since the early 70’s. German Shepard s are a mess. Same thing with some labs, both suffering from hip dysphasia and a host of other in breeding probs. Same with mini Schnauzer, they get diabetes:(

If you want a shadow dog Doberman and Rottie are great farm dogs. But only if you want them with you all the time. But if you are worried about coyotes then no matter what the breed you need two because there are few dogs that can handle a more than one. And the dog needs to be smart enough to not get lured away as where there’s one coyote, there’s more lurking near by.
I have to agree, raising and training is going to make a big difference. And I've seen the results of popular breeds, in more than just dogs. I don't have problems with a mixed breed or "mutt", met several that I like. But I am a bit wary of the county shelter or other adoption mill where it can be harder to judge what you are getting.

Back