Dog breeds?

I have had many dogs over the years and still do. From mini dachshunds, chihuahuas and mixed breeds and me, my wife and kids love them all. However, my favorite breed is German Shepherds. Our latest addition to the family joins our mixed pitbull/black lab and mini dachshund who are both pretty old. Meet Zoey:

Attachments

• Zoey 9-2023.jpg
    Zoey 9-2023.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 8
Dogs are dogs, yes different breeds have different characteristics, but even within breeds, they are all different animals.

Best thing you can do is spend some time with some litters of puppies in breeds your thinking about, your dog will eventually reveal themselves to you. That being said, I absolutely love black labs. ;) currently have a doodle mix and she's doing great, but it took some work. As an fyi, a good dog rarely just happens. ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_024324919.jpg
    PXL_20231106_024324919.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That's quite a fine and well-trained dog!

We’ve had many breeds and I came to love each one for their innate programing. But thanks to my SO I think I got the best for me I think. Saved the best for last. Portuguese Water Dogs are programmed to be constant companions and truthfully only at this time of my life could I have had one as I work at home. He’s a very smart boy but sees no need for tricks. I’d heard they were transactional (what’s in it for me) so his “tricks” are more in doing what I ask. Like retrieving balls is not his thing. He did it once and when I threw it again he just looked at me like “I guess you don’t want it” and never did it again. He does sit, down, paw, other paw and stay. He has many toys and knows what they are called and will go get them. His favorite thing is playing tug.

But he lives for his twice daily walks which there are endless various loops here and he knows them all. He looks to me when there is a turn. Never crosses a street unless I say ok and the best is when he starts to wrap the leash around a tree or sign I say this way and he double backs and untangles. Never really had to train him, he seemed to have that psychic thing my other dogs got when they got old and he’s now 2 1/2. Last Christmas we went to my childhood haunt of Lovers Point in Pacific Grove where my grandparents lived. Spent many day’s climbing those rocks. Gus scrambled over them like a mountain goat.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 13
He did it once and when I threw it again he just looked at me like “I guess you don’t want it” and never did it again.

But he lives for his twice daily walks which there are endless various loops here and he knows them all.

You could be describing our now-passed Portuguese Water dog, Seya. Same exact experience about fetching. Always seemed to read our minds. Heck I could walk her in heat without a leash and se wouldn't go and investigate other dogs, but did look at us for permission... They are incredibly loyal and perceptive - We had her 16 1/2 years, but she's gone 6 years now, but I still cannot bring myself to get another dog. Losing her was losing a fully dependent family member.

I can vicariously enjoy Gus and your walks!

During the height of lockdown and the pandemic, my better half and I would take fair to middling hikes on the South Downs and one day we ran across a fairly old chap who I instantly knew was a gamekeeper (hard to describe the tell to someone who's unfamiliar with British gamekeepers but once you've met a few you'll know).

This instinct was immediately confirmed when 3 labs (one of each flavour) ran up and, with just a small hand signal from him, stopped and plonked their arses down in that slightly slouchy way that labs do when they know they can relax.

We had a little chat about this and that, and it transpired that he was retired now and his three companions were pets, not working dogs.

I remarked that I'd known many dogs of different breeds and lived with a fair few different ones over my life and pretty much loved them all (always felt that it's a rare human that's better than a good dog) but the one that I missed most was Daisy, my yellow lab.

He smiled and just said "Well, there are dogs...and then there are labs" ;)

Back