Dogmeat DRO and carriage stop

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
20200126_202439.jpg20200126_202246.jpg20200126_202223.jpgThe carriage handwheel has huge graduations, and the boat from china with my dro is nowhere in sight. I'm sick and tired of using the dial indicator on a mag base and at the moment the mill is down. It was time to do something down and dirty to save what's left of my sanity. Thanks to the touch Dro crowd I now know my mini lathe dro was doomed because the scales grounded to the machine. So I made up a way clamp out of scraps and fit some plastic sheeting between the scales and the clamp/lathe to isolate them. Now my new 12x36 dogmeat dro works fantastic with the same scales that go ape on the 7x12.

Nice fix. It's good to use the ol' brain once in a while.

This is the dial indicator that started it all. Fed up with the magbase I decided to fit it to a way clamp and add a carriage stop feature. Nothing earth shattering project wise if it weren't for a serious lack of mill. While figuring around that challenge the notion of making two way clamps and a portable dro came to me.20200126_201922.jpg20200126_202029.jpg20200126_202108.jpg

Thanks Tom. I'd be interested to see a wooden propeller machine.

Even kids oughta know better!
A 6-7" micrometer makes a much sturdier C-clamp than one of those grip-ratchet wood clamps with the plastic heads! :)

The extra clamp didn't hurt. Surface finish tells me I got all that cast anchored down well.

I’m in the same place as @DangerZone.
I’m on the verge of springing for a TIG but I’m trying to justify AC/DC so that aluminium is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
View attachment 311573View attachment 311574View attachment 311575The carriage handwheel has huge graduations, and the boat from china with my dro is nowhere in sight. I'm sick and tired of using the dial indicator on a mag base and at the moment the mill is down. It was time to do something down and dirty to save what's left of my sanity. Thanks to the touch Dro crowd I now know my mini lathe dro was doomed because the scales grounded to the machine. So I made up a way clamp out of scraps and fit some plastic sheeting between the scales and the clamp/lathe to isolate them. Now my new 12x36 dogmeat dro works fantastic with the same scales that go ape on the 7x12.
That's the best down and dirty DRO substitute I've seen yet. Thank you for sharing!

Back