Dogs in the Shop?

Looks like dogs are ok in the shop, perhaps I worry for nothing

I would warn against a dog in the shop when doing hot work such as welding or cutting. An old friend of mine told of a dog that had gone blind watching a welding arc.

While working under a vehicle we have been nose to mustache (she was checking for food scraps) but she has never licked my face even though my legs and hands are fair game. I believe dogs understand and know a lot more than we think they do. Have a good day
Ray

mauled1.jpg

I don't have a dog at home any more (wife developed allergies) but I can never pass up a chance to post pictures of "my" dogs that live with my daughter. If I sit down, I'm in for a tongue bath!

When I had dogs at home, they had the run of the place and a couple of them absolutely delighted in "helping" me when I was working under a vehicle. One in particular would wiggle under, give me a good spit bath and then lug a tool off just to get me to come out from under the car and give him a good scratch before he'd give me my tool back.

I've had a dog in my shop for nearly 12 years now. I've always kept a clean shop though. In the summer he spends most of his time laying in the driveway or just inside the shop doors. If I'm going to be some heavy chip making on the mill (or welding) I'll leave him in the house until I'm done or the floor is clean. We've never experienced an issue with chips. I got a new trainee a couple years ago but this will be her first full year in the shop. She pretty much lets the other dog carry all the load.

2v2JReJ22xAjwmD.jpg

Couldn't tell you how much I like my dogs and like to be around them. My little dogs don't go in the shop but the big one wants to be in there with me. I set her up a blanket and she pretty-much stays there unless she wanders back into the house if there's something going on there.

Ray

No. Not worth the risk of injury to her when I'm working in there. She can watch from the door and occasionally I let her sniff around it when it's been cleaned up.

Shop dog pics!

This was my Rattie. We lost her two years ago. She was by far the hardest dog I ever trained (an alpha dogs alpha) and the best dog I have ever owned. Scary smart and loyal to a fault. I really miss that dog.

Here she is in her favorite place, the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Graeagle_20111125_Prinny.jpg

I don't keep the dog or cat , for that matter , out of the shop. When they want in, I let them in. They have no more chance of injury in the shop than they do anywhere else on our ranch. The chance of getting hurt is everywhere.
Swarf isn't any worse than briars, thorns, horses, cattle, ect.

Absolutely amazing guys. You can see the wisdom in the eyes of Jbolts dog.
Ray

Back