Doing Jobs for "Friends"

I learned a long time ago that real friends never ask you to do something for free. This doesn't mean that I accept payment for everything I do for folks, but nowadays I will ask for funds to cover the cost of cutters and materials if it ends up being more than I can afford.

A couple of friends own businesses, when I make parts for their commercial equipment they have no problem paying for my services. When they want parts for their toys I won't let them pay and tell them that up front. In return they GIVE me their used equipment and lend me things like diesel powered compressors. I'm afraid I come out ahead.

Greg

I don’t have any “friends”. So, I don’t have extra work to do. Sometimes I put on sun glasses and use a red cane with white tip. That will stop the other not friends from asking. Sometimes I put a glazed look over my eyes and cross them. That gets rid of the ones that can’t speak English. I never answer my phone, that gets rid of the rest of them. My family comes first and friends that I have had from childhood. Anyone of them can have one of my kidneys…Dave.

Last edited:
I work for food :grin: The neighbors have a lot of different projects going all of the time. Sometimes I have to charge them a small amount, other times they BBQ incredible stuff during the summer (and sometimes winter). Yeah, it's worth it. And if I need their tractor I just walk over and get it. Other than that, if I have to work, I charge what the project is worth. The fun stuff may be worth a bit less :)

my people factor

people I Like - 3%
people I tolerate - 5%
people I’m ambivalent about - 2%
people I either care nothing for or people I hate - 90%

based on the above chart, I’m very rarely asked to do any machining, auto repair work or am barely acknowledged. It’s taken many years of hard work, to achieve, the level, I’m at now.

My theory is based on the quote from the Andrew Dice Clay movie, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

“some people play hard to get, I play hard to want”

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have any real good friends that live anywhere close to me. And do not even know half of the people that live around me. Know a few in SA, but no real friends, Thus about the only ones that ask for anything is the kid and son in law. A few people not close will go help if requested and some from here that I will help, if asked etc.

I have friends when I fix there stuff or need help working on there shore house or mountain cabin . Ya know a lawyer , I'm having some real hard times now ,sure could use a little help doing my needed repairs but he's to busy taking care of his three homes now. My one buddy has moved away that did I try to help. I feel abused and used. So much for all the others I've worked for too.
The pleading can't work on me now I'm down and seems I'm out. Stick to your true friends they ask to help when you need it.

Well. I’m pretty terrible at this hobby, so nobody really asks for anything from me. But to play devils advocate, I think it’s fair to point out that people who aren’t into machining don’t really know what it takes to do any job. And then if someone they know is doing it as a hobby...that DOES imply that the person doing the hobby derives some sort of pleasure from it. It doesn’t seem a very large request to ask someone who likes to do something, to do it for you. It seems a win-win to a non-hobbyist I’d imagine.

As an example, I have an uncle who makes arrowheads. Flint knapping is the term I believe. It’s not an easy skill to master. I don’t feel I’m being a user to ask that he make me an arrowhead. Granted, there are no tolerances, and he could just as easily pull one out of his rejects and give to me, to my pure delight. But I don’t think every person who asks for free help is doing it because they want to use you.

I kinda have a sliding scale too....but based on a few things:
1) the relationship,
2) how interesting the project looks,
3) what they can afford

But no one of the above totally rules the others.
For example, I would NOT take on a job for a un-thankful jerk, even if the job is interesting just because the guy is broke.

I will gladly help the neighbours that I know are working hard themselves, but just need a little help....even for free.

I always find that my good friends are willing to pay a good price for good work.
I usually consider that "shop income" as spendable directly on new tools.

-brino

Back