Dont buy it until you have a job for it?

This set of Alvord Polk taper pin reamers today. No 0 to 10. I already had the 7/0 to 2/0. I'm really looking forward to using them on future projects. I really don't care for roll pins for alignment anyway. Lol. The rest of the taper pins should be here in a couple days.20211130_154311.jpg

I have a bunch of smaller taper reamers. I too like using them. And because I bought them I use them. But roll pins have their place too. And being hardened sometimes the best choice.

Roll pins are a cheap alternative to taper pins...
They cost less and the hole diameter is less critical, not to mention the cost of the reamer and taper pins
It eliminated the additional skilled labor.
They are not as strong.

Roll pins are a cheap alternative to taper pins...
They cost less and the hole diameter is less critical, not to mention the cost of the reamer and taper pins
It eliminated the additional skilled labor.
They are not as strong.

I've got lots of roll pins and I've used them for decades. I like taper pins for locating parts precisely. They were used in lots of old equipment that I may someday have to repair. It's just another great option in the stable.

The reason they were used in the past is the incredible holding power of a taper yet easily removed.
Besides being solid they make the item rigid, motion less. Screws can be tight but the assembly still move under load.
Typically used for ball screw or acme screw mounting.
Another benefit is being able to realign the part and reream the assembly with minimal effort while maintaining the easy to remove and reseat pin.
Yes I am a taper pin fan.
I use them instead of roll pins if I can, obviously they many applications where they better suited than taper pins.

The reason they were used in the past is the incredible holding power of a taper yet easily removed.
Besides being solid they make the item rigid, motion less. Screws can be tight but the assembly still move under load.
Typically used for ball screw or acme screw mounting.
Another benefit is being able to realign the part and reream the assembly with minimal effort while maintaining the easy to remove and reseat pin.
Yes I am a taper pin fan.
I use them instead of roll pins if I can, obviously they many applications where they better suited than taper pins.
Well said.

In terms of easy to remove, the Takisawa uses taper pins that are threaded on the stick out end, with a nut installed. To remove, you just stick a few washers under the nut, tighten a bit and pop, out it comes.

I had not seen that before.

I like those too. lol
better than cleaning out a threaded hole

Well, fellas. I bought 5 sets of Heimann transfer screws off Ebay for $37 shipped. 10-24, 10-32, 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, and 1/2-13. I'm working on metric sizes now but they are pricey if you go American and I'm on a Chinese budget.... if anyone knows the PRM brand let me know if they are any good.

20211203_185337.jpg20211203_185319.jpg

I also bought Spellmaco standard transfer punches. They cost a fortune at $79 shipped. Went Shars on the metric set.

In response to the OP. Lately I usually make due with what I have and then along the way order what I could have used to make the job easier which always arrives after I MacGyver my way through! Then if I "ever" do the same part/operation again it will be easier...is my motto.

Back