Don't forget Rebar

dlane

Active User
Registered
after looking at several pictures of oroville dam spillway , someone must of forgot the rebar :eek:
I started a different thread in members hangout , but it doesn't show up in recent posts , threads ,take a look
If I leave town they won't let me back and this town is shut down , and I need groceries
It's getting kinda ugly here , and I just moved here

IMG_0778.JPG
Normally when concrete breaks there's rebar hanging out of it.

after looking at several pictures of oroville dam spillway , someone must of forgot the rebar :eek:
I started a different thread in members hangout , but it doesn't show up in recent posts , threads ,take a look
If I leave town they won't let me back and this town is shut down , and I need groceries
It's getting kinda ugly here , and I just moved here

View attachment 226342
Normally when concrete breaks there's rebar hanging out of it.
It is my understanding that it was used, but it is very hard to see in the photos. One I saw had people in it for scale. You could barely make out their limbs, much less anything on the scale of their fingers. In a press conference it was specifically stated that rebar was used.

There is rebar on the top of the spillway not on the bottom where it gave out , according to old timers here that worked on it way back then, so we'll see what happens next weeks rain could gut ugly

This thing the forum is acting stupid again.

T

One of the photos I saw showed rebar amid the rubble. Of course it's still possible that it wasn't used properly, but both official statements and at least one photo I've seen confirm that it was at least used at the site of the massive failure.

False reporting , it's what they do nowadays to cover there a::s ,several of the close up images I've seen have no metal Rebar or wire. If it did it wouldn't of broken up like it did,
I met a couple old timers that worked on the dam, they tell me the engineers cut too many corners when building it , the guy I bought this place from was one of them.
any how it is what it is, a mess , that the engineer's were warned about ten years ago.

It's not false reporting. Look at the photos. The rebar is there. Multiple photos, from multiple photographers, from multiple angles. Maybe my role as a full-time professional photographer means I'm biased or something, but I don't think so.

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/oroville-spillway-closeup-chicoer.jpg

That's a photo from an article about the missing rebar. Note the presence of rebar in the photo they used. They have since added a note to clarify that they had missed that "minor" detail, yet left up the article about it being absent. Talk about false reporting.

Yes, there is false reporting in the world, but claiming that every time you disagree with a report doesn't do anyone any good. More signal, less noise. Boy who cried wolf. Etc.

Saw a piece of conduit sticking up , and a few pieces of rebar , as you stated earlier it was improperly used what little there is of it.
That is a better pic than I've seen though.

Now the high side of the lake is on fire. :eek: Guessing a earthquake is next, I'm ready
Got a prepare to evacuate at 2:00am

Last edited:
Now the high side of the lake is on fire. :eek: Guessing a earthquake is next, I'm ready
Got a prepare to evacuate at 2:00am
I pray that the worst does not happen. That's gotta be devastating, loose everything you own. I thought that only happens when IRS comes knocking.
Hang in there Derrick.

Back