Don't leave the key in the lathe chuck

I believe one of our members made a holder for the key that would not let you run the machine unless the key were in it. Can't seem to find it now. Anyone else remember this??

"Billy G"

I vaguely remember a post along those lines. A good idea and shouldn’t be too hard to do.

I remember something about it, too. It's a good idea. I only remember leaving a chuck key once, hopefully I learned from it. I can't read things like this too often, though. I'm forever doing things that I know better than to do, but I get sidetracked, lazy, interrupted, forgetful- you get the picture

I believe one of our members made a holder for the key that would not let you run the machine unless the key were in it. Can't seem to find it now. Anyone else remember this??

"Billy G"

It was in Machinist workshop magazine
michael

I remember it but think it was in a thread someone else had going on something.

Well at least I wasn't dreaming. It's not in the safety area. Gotta find that one.

"Billy G"

I do not get that mag, but remember it thus either on here or youtube or something.

The human mind is a weird thing. I NEVER left the key in the chuck until I read a post about people
doing that and then I ended up doing it. Just the once and luckily I didn't turn it on before I removed
the key, but its weird that I never did it until I read that I shouldn't... And I'm not a rebel or anything,
just that it never occurred to me to do it until I read that other people did it...

Twice, I almost left the key in. Both times I looked and removed it. A friend made a lathe chuck key with the spring ejector. You have to hold the key in to use it, if you let go, it ejects. Like some Jacobs chuck keys with the ejector pin.

Back