Don't run the boring bar into the chuck jaws on the end of the hole

Glad to say I have yet to smash the chuck on the carriage.
But, I have, however, dropped the 6" 4 jaw on my hand unscrewing it from the spindle... I suppose better bruise my hand than damage the ways.....
I always like to place a piece of wood across the ways when removing or installing a chuck also when fitting large heavy objects into a chuck, and yes, always keep your hands out of the way.

The reason a VFD does not over heat the motor is because motor heating
is mostly caused by slip. Motor lagging behind phase. The VFD changes the
timing of the phase.

Boring bar mishap...
I've hit my chuck a few times but my chuck jaws is so hard the cutter squeaks
when the cutter hits it and does not hardly even leave a mark. I have one of the
first large Grizzly lathes made back in 1987. It's been a good one.

Years ago when we had our manufacturing business, I was on the advisory board for a local tech collage. In one of our meetings, one of the schools instructors made the comment "There's nothing worse than seeing a student crash a machine." To which I replied, "Oh yes there is, PAYING someone to crash your machine!"

Richard

Don't run the boring bar into the chuck jaws on the end of the hole cause you're watching the dro and not the work...

View attachment 226046
my new---old--Cazeneuve, has no marks on the original chucks, not bad for 1975 lathe today unpacked the smaller steady, the big un can hardly lift and the traveling steady

Attachments

• 20200227_071808[1].jpg
    20200227_071808[1].jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200227_071027[1].jpg
    20200227_071027[1].jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 1
Back