Don't run the boring bar into the chuck jaws on the end of the hole

Shawn, you have discovered one of the major drawbacks of using a DRO. While they are convenient to use, they take your attention away from the work. Kind of like texting while driving.

That's one reason why I use an indicator for a carriage stop instead of the DRO. I like the feedback of the needle sweeping up to zero.

Now, lets not talk about busted parting tools! I have several on my personal wall of shame.

Why not just set up your hard stop if you have a feed clutch? I always do this even with an electronic stop system, I always assume something is going to fail or at my age a brain fart (like honey what are you cooking me for dinner, turn head .....bam destroyed insert).

If I know I am going to bore thru and come close to the jaws I use a sacrificial plate between the jaws and the part to be bored.

"Billy G"

I don't have a carriage stop. Now that I have a mill that's on the project list. I always use the clutch. If I'm boring and I know the hole is smaller than the bore of the chuck I don't usually worry about spacers. The part was the motor mount for the belt conversion kit
IMAG0898.jpg
Narrow in the middle. The chuck jaw in the middle was a bit closer into the center than I realized.

Wonder if a solenoid would have enough throw. Fooled around with bikes alot and the caliper brakes don't require much movement to draw tight. Whether they would have enough clamping force to do anything is another matter. Asco Red Hat solenoids are pretty reliable.

-frank
I was also thinking about pneumatic. My 60 gal compressor is always charged. So, there's always air available. I also have a valve solenoid. It has liquid fittings on it, but it's also rated for air and gas. So, all I'd have to sort out is the actual brake

I had my first such contact this week, but it really confused me because I knew I had done a dry run to make sure my full cut could be made without the carriage or anything on it running into the chuck. But something was definitely hitting. The fact that it was but I couldn't yet figure out what it was threw me off and made it harder to remember where the power switch and carriage feed lever were. Turns out I ran into the top of the saddle with the exterior-clamping jaws extended just far enough to reach. During my dry run I must have only spun the chuck before the carriage was over that far. Lesson learned, and there's a small scar to remind me. I'm glad this came without a hard collision or anything more than hardened steel jaws gradually scraping against an inclined cast iron surface.

Amazing the damage a harden chuck jaw can do to cast iron parts of an lathe! :eek:

Chewed up compound slides! Ruts on the saddle and bed ways. I've seen them all, and even caused a few myself over the years.:grin:

Back