Don't Say You Haven't Been Warned: Drill Bits Cause Cancer!

California has their own special level of hysteria. We are to put bold signs in the waiting area, the break room, customer entry points, the shops, the parts display area etc.
Read these signs and do not hold me responsible.
OOPS, is this political? No it's not. I'm OK.IMG_1117[1].JPG

There is a direct correlation between breathing air and dying from cancer. Conversely, no one who has never breathed air has died from cancer.

The bad actor regarding chromium is hexavalent chromium (Cr VI). It is a highly oxidized form of chromium which is also highly reactive. Chromium became a poster child when Erin Brockovich sued Pacific Gas & Electric for contaminating wastewater with Cr VI. Julia Roberts made the case notorious in her depiction of Brockovich and the lawsuit in the film of the same name.

It has since been assumed (erroneously, IMO) that all forms of chromium are carcinogenic. I take 90 micrograms of chromium every day in my multivitamin tablets which is considered to be 76% of my minimum daily requirement. I've been doing so for thirty years.

...but swallowing Cr(II) vs. inhaling Cr(VI) are not the same. Cr is a carcinogenic hazard when inhaled, because it causes cancer in the bronchioles and lungs. It's not the same route of exposure, kinda like thumbing a suppository into place vs. snorting drill bit dust off of a mirror. Just sayin'.

A benzene warning on gasoline is not unwarranted; benzene is nasty throughout your system. Hence the carcinogenicity ratings at the top of the category across all agencies. But to think that gas companies are going to let a commodity chemical feedstock like benzene enter their fuel fractions is silly! That chemical is worth more money elsewhere. Nowadays benzene is a trace contaminant in fuels.

Sometimes I see these posts and I’m glade I live in Africa - by the time all this starts to hit here i’ll be long dead

Janderso, where are the Spanish, Taiwan, Chinese, and all the other non English warning signs?.

One of my firearm and accessory suppliers issued an announcement that they would no longer ship products of any kind to California because of Prop 65.

One of my firearm and accessory suppliers issued an announcement that they would no longer ship products of any kind to California because of Prop 65.

They should change their business model to shipping warning signs to California.

Paul.

If you eat a drill bit, you will have more immediate problems than cancer...
I grind a lot of silicon bronze and i try to wear AT LEAST a face shield if not a dust mask..I'm too afraid to look up issues with that. I stopped smoking 3.5 years ago, "so i got that going for me....which is nice..."

Back