Don't take me long to look at a horse shoe!

I have spent many hours at work blending weld beads flush with a die grinder.

I can't seem to stop myself from grinding the bead close, then running my finger across it to see how close it is... if I've done it once, I've done it a thousand times...

Woo-wee... thats HOT!

Its another lesson that I have to re-learn often... maybe I'm just 'un-learnable'...

-Bear

I think we have all been there.... but no doubt every time I grab a hot piece of iron, I feel really stupid.

Completely unrelated to anything workshop related. One of my first jobs was in a burger place. The initiation rite was to leave the cast aluminum burger press on the grill so the newbie would pick it up.
I was off work for a week. I never saw the shift leader again.

Do ya look around to see if anyone is looking? I do. :bang head:

Chuck
Yes I do. Every damned time..... and usually yell out.... SON OF A B....
Every damned time.

I thought of this thread today.

Working on the stair newel posts for our new house, which I am fabricating out of 3.5" square tubing. I was using a Walter blend disc to take care of the seam. When I was partly done and it was all nice and shiny I decided to see how nice and smooth it was. "YEEEEHOOOOOOOWWWWW.... Holy Shi...... that is hot". While I was jumping up and down I started to laugh when I thought about this thread.

I thought of this thread today.

Working on the stair newel posts for our new house, which I am fabricating out of 3.5" square tubing. I was using a Walter blend disc to take care of the seam. When I was partly done and it was all nice and shiny I decided to see how nice and smooth it was. "YEEEEHOOOOOOOWWWWW.... Holy Shi...... that is hot". While I was jumping up and down I started to laugh when I thought about this thread.
Great that you could laugh about it. I usually am not thinking pleasant thoughts in such moments.

Yes I do. Every damned time..... and usually yell out.... SON OF A B....
Every damned time.

Having worked around hot metal (electrical for foundry, steel) most of my life, burns are a fact of life. I wear (driver's) gloves even though it's against OSHA rules. When contact is made with hot machine parts, I do look around, to make sure no one else was burned. And my language is usually much more abusive than that given above. The good side is that the scars make for interesting sea stories, some of which are actually true... almost. I have had contact with molten metal a few times in my life. And am still alive to talk about it.

Back