Dorian Bxa Qctp Too Low For New Pm-1340gt

The problem is your tool holders. You need to use 5/8" holders for the tools you are showing. I have some 1" holders for the big tooling I bought cheap on ebay but they won't work for the smaller tools.

Dave

My 13" lathe has an Aloris AXA, way too small for it. The toolpost has a 3/8 - 1/2" aluminum spacer under it to give it some more height, works perfectly.

The tool holders I've used were set up so that the top of the tool was near the top of the slot, not half way up. You are undertooling your lathe using half inch or even 5/8 tools.

I'd like to understand what you mean by "under tooling"?

A lathe can can power a 1" tool through a cut is not using its potential when tooled with 3/8 tools. Just a comment. The same reason I don't use 1" tools on my Clausing 6-24, they can'd do their job properly.

Thanks. Hobby stuff and gunsmithing is not hard on machinery, and I do sometimes use 3/8" tooling to get into tight places. Was just curious what you meant is all.

Agree with Bill and Tmarks. Same reason I now use Aloris BXA 1 and 2 tool holders, have a couple of Dorian holders that all seem to be different. The 3/4 or 1" only works with that size tooling. So the few "oversize" Dorian holders I have are all shimmed. PTA.

20150921_105838.jpg

Looks like they have you all straightened out with the holders. The BXA is the right size for that machine, so you are good there.
Man thats one clean looking shop though!

Looks like they have you all straightened out with the holders. The BXA is the right size for that machine, so you are good there.
Man thats one clean looking shop though!
Yeah rather than shimming, I just ordered some Aloris bxa-1's and bxa-2's being all of my tooling so far is 5/8" and some 1/2". I'll set aside the Dorian holders for later when I need bigger. Thanks for all the input, that's what makes this place great.

Last edited:
When I was buying my used Jet 1336 the owner said it had CXA tooling, and I thought he was probably mistaken. At least I was hoping he was mistaken because the holders are almost twice as expensive as BXA. Sure enough when I brought it home and was checking everything out the holders were CXA (250-301). I had read Matt's article about measuring, and the comment about "approaching 2" stuck in my mind. Not having a BXA to set on the lathe to compare, I'm now glad it is a CXA because it fits perfectly and it is robust.

I do have a shim under the mini lathe QC holder that I have on my old Atlas 12", and I can't say it hurts a thing using 3/8 carbide tooling.

Dan

I put an AXA on my 12X36, and the tools index perfectly. I will be getting some AXA-XL holders for my larger 5/8 and 3/4 tooling. (yes, I know the XL won't take 3/4 unless I mill them a little smaller....)

Back