Dorian "First Time Buyer" QCTP and Holder set - beware!

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
Six months ago I started acquiring my metal working upgrades and new equipment. As part of that, I decided to buy a Dorian QCTP for my new PM1340.

I ordered a BXA size 14 piece Dorian "First Time Buyer Package". From my research here and elsewhere, I had discovered that there were sometimes some fit issues. So I called Dorian before I bought the package to get assurances that if there were any fit issues that they would help me. Getting a positive response from Dorian, I ordered the package with confidence and laid out a significant amount of money to get it.

The cutoff tool in the package is evidently a newer design and it didn't fit the PM1340 lathe properly. It would not adjust high enough to get on the center line of the cut. The adjuster screw would bottom out on the holder before it would elevate the holder high enough for a proper fit.

I called Dorian to get the help they had promised to discover that they weren't willing to help at all. They quickly said, "You can counter-bore the land for the adjuster." And then told me that they were glad they could help me and to have a good day! When I then asked that they replace it with a holder that didn't need to be modified by me to work, they told me that they couldn't do that. BTW, they also admitted in the conversation that they knew that there were issues with the "newer" design.

I finally "fixed" it by milling a slot on the top of the holder so it will elevate to the center line of cut. Here's a photo to document the fix. Not a lot of work of course but I paid a premium price and it should have fit out of the box. BTW, the tool is marginal at best and I suspect they are getting rid of stock by including it in the FTB set grab bag. I have since bought an Aloris holder and cutoff.

I posted this on another thread recently, but wanted to give this saga a stand alone thread with specifics to help others who may be on this journey. If I had it to do over again, I buy only the Dorian QCTP or get more serious about other alternatives such as an Aloris. I have found the Dorian First Time Buyers Set to be less than worthwhile from a content and cost standpoint.

Obviously I have the opinion that Dorian is not trustworthy.

dorian fix.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! With that lack of customer service I would never buy a product from them. I guess they aren't what they used to be and are now just taking customers money and riding on their past reputation.

To be fair, I think their QCTP gets very high marks and I personally like it.

I do not like their customer service or their First Time Buyer Set "grab bag" approach.

Wow, I'm disappointed that Dorian responded that way. I wonder, though, if this is the way Dorian treats all their customers or if you got a bozo on the phone when you called. I know some customer service people can be really non-helpful and when that happens, I ask to speak to the customer service manager and restate my request. If that fails and it means enough to me, I ask for their name and then the name and email address of the President of the company and then I follow through and email the guy to report my experience. Invariably, I get a response and usually the desired outcome.

In today's economic environment, a company cannot afford to antagonize their customers. This is especially true of they have a tough competitor, like Aloris. I bet if the President of Dorian found out that customer service failed to address a customer concern he would have a serious discussion with the manager of that department. By notifying the President, you're actually helping Dorian become a better company and I would consider it.

My feeling is I shouldn't have to go through all of that after spending some serious money on there product. There are far too many other companies that would do what it takes to resolve the issue without making you jump through hoops. And if they are aware of a problem as stated they should not even be selling it, jmo.

My feeling is I shouldn't have to go through all of that after spending some serious money on there product. There are far too many other companies that would do what it takes to resolve the issue without making you jump through hoops. And if they are aware of a problem as stated they should not even be selling it, jmo.

Oh, I quite agree that you shouldn't have to do this, especially with stuff that costs what Dorian charges. However, my concern is that a customer service agent may be the issue instead of a systemic problem with Dorian, the company. I understand your position, Greg, honestly I do, but my personal feeling is not to rush to judgement about a company when my contact has been with what could be a faulty interface. If I go to the top and get the same response, however, then that is the end of my patronage with that company.

If you call or contact Starrett or Albrecht or Beall Tools your experience will be exactly as you say - they resolve the issue immediately, at their expense and very quickly. Would that all companies were run this way but the vast majority are not.

Couldn't you make a small spacer under the tool post. By lifting it , the holder should have the room needed.

Wow, I'm disappointed that Dorian responded that way. I wonder, though, if this is the way Dorian treats all their customers or if you got a bozo on the phone when you called. I know some customer service people can be really non-helpful and when that happens, I ask to speak to the customer service manager and restate my request. If that fails and it means enough to me, I ask for their name and then the name and email address of the President of the company and then I follow through and email the guy to report my experience. Invariably, I get a response and usually the desired outcome.

In today's economic environment, a company cannot afford to antagonize their customers. This is especially true of they have a tough competitor, like Aloris. I bet if the President of Dorian found out that customer service failed to address a customer concern he would have a serious discussion with the manager of that department. By notifying the President, you're actually helping Dorian become a better company and I would consider it.

Never give in go to next in the line i always do and always seems to get service and always get names and comment on service if not given

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back