Dorian "First Time Buyer" QCTP and Holder set - beware!

Escalate and dominate. I wouldn't take anything but satisfaction from any business that gets my money, especially if their prices are as escalated as Dorian's. I try to be nice, respectful, and to the point when I need to call a company or retailer about a shoddy item. If the first guy that picks up the phone won't help than I ask for or call back and ask for the regional manager, business owner, or president. Someone way up the chain. Call your credit card company and complain. They're usually surprisingly helpful in this regard. There's ALWAYS options. For roughly the same price, maybe even cheaper, I'd upgrade to a Multifix 40-position QCTP from Create Tool. :)

I was called by a Dorian tech guy today. Apologized for the posts looking like regejects but assured me it doesn't affect performance. Yeah, I wonder how much they ground off trying to fix the blemish. He said they are trying to keep the blemishes to a minimum of 25% coverage.
I guess there is a new run happening and I could get one of those sometime in July. I told him I used it and his tune changded. Said he'd have to talk to production.

Duane,
As I said post #3 in this thread, I like my Dorian post. I do not like their company culture and their very poor customer service. The start of this thread was about them knowingly sending out holders that had a design/dimensional flaw. This thread has now morphed into them knowingly using poor quality raw materials and knowingly sending out blemished products.

Looks like to me that you can choose to keep the latest one you have in hand and enjoy its functionality. They've admitted the next one may be even worse and may be waffling on even swapping it out. This is no surprise to me. Their comment "I have to talk to production" is a strong signal that customer service is perceived to be low stakes to them or an indicator that they are having even worse issues. Their use of "rust worm" damaged raw material is a signal not all is well southwest of Houston.

Alternatively send it back to MSC and get a refund. Get your money back and go with an Aloris as Mikey suggested. Aloris is having their summer sale now with 25% off and free shipping. This makes them quite attractive at the moment.

Meanwhile a few links for fun:
Dorian's Facebook Page - maybe a photo of your "rust wormed" QCTP here would get some action? I got the sense you may not be able to post there without their permission but may be worth a shot.

Here's Dorian's CEO Linked-in profile - Enrico R. Giannetti
It is interesting to note that the last sentence of his profile says the following: "Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Our success comes from the original commitment we made, Technology, Quality, & Service." From my experience with them I find this comical.

Here's Dorian's Operations Manager Linked-in profile - Anna Giannetti
Yeap, same last name as Enrico's and her profile shows a photo of her with him. Looks like she finished school in 2014 with a Human Resources degree and now she's Ops Mgr.

Sure hope the Aloris on the MSC site is the same as the Super Precision on the Aloris site.
Cheaper on the Aloris site also.
MSC refunded me $90 off of the Dorian so I decided to keep it. Total price ended up being $270.

Last edited:
"Could be a fluke, but you shouldn't have to re-machine or modify a high quality, expensive tool system that was made to fit right the first time."

In my younger years, I would have been annoyed as hell. However, after reading David Fenner's book on having to manually re-machine and clean up numerous issues with a BRAND NEW LATHE, including making other modifications to it... and reading of similar stories from others... I have come to the conclusion that it is now expected that as a machinist, sellers of products to us expect us to finish off their own work.

That's great and all if you have the skill/time to do it. But for most home hobbyists starting out, they don't have a spare lathe to turn materials that need to be put on ANOTHER lathe, and often don't even have a min-mill purchased yet... after all, they are just starting out.

Back