Double Action 1911

jimipop1

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks, Im in a bit of a bind. I accidently got my hands on what I was told was an 80% single action frame but is in fact a 60% double action frame. Instead of causing issues I figured "heck, I dont have one, lets start building". And then I started searching. And searching. And searching. So far Ive found reviews and pictures, but not a single drawing, blueprint, schematic, even internals picture. If anyone here could be kind enough to help, I would be greatly appreciative.

Howdy folks, Im in a bit of a bind. I accidently got my hands on what I was told was an 80% single action frame but is in fact a 60% double action frame. Instead of causing issues I figured "heck, I dont have one, lets start building". And then I started searching. And searching. And searching. So far Ive found reviews and pictures, but not a single drawing, blueprint, schematic, even internals picture. If anyone here could be kind enough to help, I would be greatly appreciative.

Hello Jimipop1,

I've worked on Colt 1911's and 1911A1's and just about every Colt variant of this John Browning design. I have never seen or heard of a double action version of this pistol. Now fair enough, I haven't worked on any since they, along with all other pistols, were banned here in 1997 but I think I would have heard of one, had one been about. However, I may be mistaken.

I think you should post a few pictures just so we can take a look see, to ascertain just what you have got. I have to ask though, why does anyone want a double action semi auto in the first place? The late Marine Colonel Jeff Cooper the dean of Combat Pistol Shooters said. "The double action semi automatic is the answer to a question, no right thinking man ever asked". I have to agree.

EDIT. I've had a look around and yes, there is a double action only 1911. But, it doesn't seem to be in production yet. Part steel and part alluminium. There's even a Colt Advert on YouTube. Perhaps Colt is testing the water to see what the demand (if any) there may be for it, before going into mass production. I'm not surprised though that there are no plans or schematics available it's so new, come back in 20 years there may be some about. You might get an idea of what the design entails by searching on Google Patents but patent designs are not always followed to the letter when a firearm gets into production. End of Edit.

Harry

Last edited:
EDIT. I've had a look around and yes, there is a double action only 1911.

Para-Ordnance has had these for years now. They originated the D/A 1911. I only have the single-action P14, but maybe this will give you a direction to look in.

So I finally got a hold of someone who was useful at Sarco and I was told to ship it back since they had shipped me the wrong thing. I now have my double stack, single action p14/13 frame. Ill definately be posting pics as I go along the build.

I am considering a similar project. I will be keeping an eye out for your build. Are you going to do it as a 45 or 9mm?

Go to Para website it is there LDA model.Also search web you will find parts list with the LDA manual.
Good Luck

Do a search for "Colt Double Eagle"
Its a double/single .45 based very closely on the 1911 (many parts are interchangable)

ColtDoubleEagle.jpg

Produced from 1989-1997

ColtDoubleEagle.jpg

Hello Jimipop1,

I've worked on Colt 1911's and 1911A1's and just about every Colt variant of this John Browning design. I have never seen or heard of a double action version of this pistol. Now fair enough, I haven't worked on any since they, along with all other pistols, were banned here in 1997 but I think I would have heard of one, had one been about. However, I may be mistaken.

I think you should post a few pictures just so we can take a look see, to ascertain just what you have got. I have to ask though, why does anyone want a double action semi auto in the first place? The late Marine Colonel Jeff Cooper the dean of Combat Pistol Shooters said. "The double action semi automatic is the answer to a question, no right thinking man ever asked". I have to agree.

EDIT. I've had a look around and yes, there is a double action only 1911. But, it doesn't seem to be in production yet. Part steel and part alluminium. There's even a Colt Advert on YouTube. Perhaps Colt is testing the water to see what the demand (if any) there may be for it, before going into mass production. I'm not surprised though that there are no plans or schematics available it's so new, come back in 20 years there may be some about. You might get an idea of what the design entails by searching on Google Patents but patent designs are not always followed to the letter when a firearm gets into production. End of Edit.

Harry

DA/SA 1911 pattern pistols have been around for years.
Para-Ordinance and Colt had the Double Eagle.

Abominations, all of them. If John Browning had wanted the 1911 to be DA, he would have designed it that way.

Oh, and will you please take Piers Morgan back and choke him with a bag of hammers?

I remember reading an article in the late seventies and early eighties, that someone was making a kit for double action 45, Cooper at the time said that it was an answer to a question that never existed. It was probably in the American rifleman or guns and ammo at that time. :jester:

Attachments

• 26A51907-10FB-471D-AB94-A8D8FBC4FF5F.png
    26A51907-10FB-471D-AB94-A8D8FBC4FF5F.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 28
Back