Double Sided Flange Bushing?

chrison600

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

This is my first post so I hope I'm using the right category.

I'm just an individual that works on motorcycle projects. I'm trying to adapt a license plate bracket to use a smaller bolt than it is designed for. The hole bored into the bracket is intended for a 1/2" bolt, but I'm wanting to mount it to a tab that uses a 5/16" bolt. That tab is also used to hold the cover for the belt drive. The belt drive cover bracket straddles the tab and the holes in the belt cover bracket use rubber grommets for isolation. From the factory, the belt cover is attached via a 5/16" bolt with two "spacers" that fit into the grommets and over the bolt on each side of the tab, such that the bolt will tighten firm but the grommets are not fully compressed.

What I would like to achieve is the same firm connection from the license plate bracket to the tab (via bolt) and still prevent the grommets from being fully compressed so the belt cover is still isolated from vibration.

In my head I'm envisioning a different design of "spacer" that has a 5/16" inner bore with a 1/2" OD, but with a "flange" such that the spacer will insert into the license plate bracket and also into the grommet such that as the bolt is tightened, the spacer contacts the mounting tab and the flange on the spacer contacts the bracket.

I can find flange bushings that get halfway to that solution. They have a 5/16" inner bore and a 1/2" OD and a flange that is larger than 1/2" (around 11/16"), but the flange is located on the end of the bushing.

Is there a similar bushing on which the flange is located in the middle of the bushing?

I have considered simply pairing a flange bushing with a simple spacer inserted into the bore in the license plate bracket (5/16" ID, 1/2" OD). That would accomplish the same function, but with two parts rather than one.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

The simplest solution is your final thought. If you want to be creative, your preferred design can quickly and easily be made on a lathe.

Back to back flanges with a very short shoulders to grab the tab?
You could do that with one flange, and a backing washer too....

Last edited:
I don't know if this would do the job for you ... but if you got a bushing of suitable length, you could ream out a washer to the OD of the bushing and press it on. If needed, you could even braze the washer into place, then use a file or lathe to remove the excess brazing material. Or, as RJ said, this would be an ideal project to do on a lathe.
Hook 'em!

Back