[4]

Douglas Standard 22” shaper

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So when I google boat anchor ,my Douglas shaper pops up. Lol. I’ve been waiting for a large boat anchor like this for a long time.
Just bought this at an auction. My son and I spent an hour or so rolling it on pipes from the back of the building to the front door to winch it on a roll off truck
After getting it home and initial inspection it shows very little use. Still has the scraping marks on the ways. The tool holder doesn’t look like it’s ever been used. It is covered in grime from sitting in the shop.
It’s wired 380 volts. European I guess. I need to look into this
Anyway more pictures to follow
Cheers
Martin
1B035F71-2CA8-42A0-AFC1-7622B09111B0.jpeg

francist

Active User
Nice! Vintage Machinery has a wee bit on the Frank Douglas Machinery Co. of Chicago, but not much.

-frank

Oops, looks like I may have gotten the wrong Douglas.
lathes.co.uk has a nice bit on the Douglas shapers though.

Okay, I was completely out to lunch on both those suggestions, neither are the same "Douglas" as Martin's shaper.

Last edited:

Martin W

The tag has Rotterdam on it.
Martin

FOMOGO

Active User
That's looks like a great machine, and really nice that it shows little wear. Would love to find something around that size for my shop. Cheers, Mike

Last edited:

Martin W

Got the old gal all hooked up today. I’ve done some cleaning and lubricating
Here are a couple videos
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:

ConValSam

----
I hear the audio, but see no image. Anybody else have the same issue?

Of course, great looking machine!

Martin W

It says the file is too big for the server. Anyway here is the one right when I hit the start button for the first time
Edit
Sorry I can’t seem to get it to load

Last edited:

NCjeeper

Congrats and welcome to the shaper club. Did it come with a vise?

jwmay

Registered
I should really get a bigger shaper. Those cuts are well beyond the Ammco’s ability.

Martin W

Congrats and welcome to the shaper club. Did it come with a vise?
Thanks
It did not come with a vise. I have a sturdy milling vise that was left from a machine I bought years ago. I knew it would be handy one day.

Cheers
Martin

Martin W

I should really get a bigger shaper. Those cuts are well beyond the Ammco’s ability.
Yeah, but an Ammco leaves you room for other machines.

Martin W

Would someone have any information on this shaper. I thought it was a Douglas from Australia, but I think it was made in Holland.

The clutch has what looks like two oil drain plugs. I believe you fill one until it comes out the other by the way they are situated? Do you think straight SAE 30 oil ?
Does rotation matter? I do not see any arrows for rotation? I have it turning clockwise and it seems to have no issues
The electric motor is 380 volts 50 HZ. I believe wired delta. I am running it on 240 volts three phase from a rotary phase converter. I have been monitoring it and it doesn't seem to mind it. It ran for about an hour and a half under load and the motor never got warm. My clamp meter shows 2.5- 2.9 amps on each leg .
Cheers
Martin

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hey that’s great. That’s a lot of weight to be hauling across oceans.
That is a big one.
Has anyone told you it’s running backward?

Martin W

No one has told me that but just switching one wire will reverse it. If it mattered on direction I would think they would have had an arrow stamped somewhere? If it runs the other way the ram still moves. I don’t believe it has an oil pressure system to worry about.
Cheers
Martin

Martin W

FYI
It does make a difference in motor direction. I was watching it cut and the forward stroke was faster than the return. I reversed it and now the cutting stroke is slower .
Cheers

Robo_Pi

I have a real boat anchor if you'd like to trade?

Anchor.JPG

f350ca

Registered
Also, the table movement should be on the return stroke. Not sure what its called, the t slotted flange where you set your amount of advance, going one side or the other of center determines when it advances. That has to be set if your cutting right to left and changed for left to right. I only recently clued into it changing with cut direction.
Some people cut internal keyways on the return stroke, you simply had the motor direction set for that operation.

Greg

[6]
[5] [7]