Douglas Standard 22” shaper

I should really get a bigger shaper. Those cuts are well beyond the Ammco’s ability.

Congrats and welcome to the shaper club. Did it come with a vise?
Thanks
It did not come with a vise. I have a sturdy milling vise that was left from a machine I bought years ago. I knew it would be handy one day.

Cheers
Martin

Would someone have any information on this shaper. I thought it was a Douglas from Australia, but I think it was made in Holland.

The clutch has what looks like two oil drain plugs. I believe you fill one until it comes out the other by the way they are situated? Do you think straight SAE 30 oil ?
Does rotation matter? I do not see any arrows for rotation? I have it turning clockwise and it seems to have no issues
The electric motor is 380 volts 50 HZ. I believe wired delta. I am running it on 240 volts three phase from a rotary phase converter. I have been monitoring it and it doesn't seem to mind it. It ran for about an hour and a half under load and the motor never got warm. My clamp meter shows 2.5- 2.9 amps on each leg .
Cheers
Martin

Hey that’s great. That’s a lot of weight to be hauling across oceans.
That is a big one.
Has anyone told you it’s running backward?

No one has told me that but just switching one wire will reverse it. If it mattered on direction I would think they would have had an arrow stamped somewhere? If it runs the other way the ram still moves. I don’t believe it has an oil pressure system to worry about.
Cheers
Martin

FYI
It does make a difference in motor direction. I was watching it cut and the forward stroke was faster than the return. I reversed it and now the cutting stroke is slower .
Cheers

I have a real boat anchor if you'd like to trade?

Anchor.JPG

Also, the table movement should be on the return stroke. Not sure what its called, the t slotted flange where you set your amount of advance, going one side or the other of center determines when it advances. That has to be set if your cutting right to left and changed for left to right. I only recently clued into it changing with cut direction.
Some people cut internal keyways on the return stroke, you simply had the motor direction set for that operation.

Greg

Back