Dovetails , Are They Really This Easy ?

Would it be considered greedy if I asked Santa for a dividing head and tail stock .

He just might, ya never know. I know he never gave me the real mill I have been asking him for. But it may be because it's too big for his sleigh to carry.

Congratulations,
Try going with even less angle on the tool, you only want to be cutting at the tip with clearance on both sides. A bent tool holder will help, the shorter you can get the cutter the better.

Greg

barnett , yes it does have t slots . three slots on two sides .

ndnchf , once i get out to the shop this evening i'd be very happy to take a pic of the tool . but i can not make any guarantee as to clarity i'll do my best .
i dont own a digital camera , what pictures i do take are from a very dated cell phone .

more clearance hmm ,.. i'll give it a try . tool rigidity ( is that a word lol ) was one of my concerns and also was what caused my goof on the second set up .
it makes me wonder if for general use it might be better to try mounting cutting tools directly into the tool post when ever possible and only using a tool holder when absolutely needed .
to my thinking there would be a couple advantages to that .. less flex without the tool holder and the ability to use bigger stiffer tools .
its something to think about .

With regard to larger toolbit directly mounted vs. using a toolholder to minimize flexing, there's another option. If you're using a shaper tool holder instead of a lathe tool holder, any flexing will cause the toolbit to come out of the work rather than dig in. It all has to do do with where the toolbit is in relation to where the fulcrum is. Check out this picture

IMG_5002_zpses8dzofh.jpg

The toolbit is back far enough that it doesn't dig in the way it would with a lathe toolholder. I was very pleasantly surprised how much easier it was to cut dovetails without chatter when I started using this tool.

There is a downside in that you do need a little more clearance on the toolbit, otherwise it can dig into the work on the return stroke. I had that happen on this workpiece.

Marks-001_zpscnq49poe.jpg

You can see scratches that were caused by the backside of the toolbit on the return stroke. I also notice that I need to lock the downfeed as it tends to feed itself using the shaper tool where I had never noticed that with the lathe tool holder.

Jim

Ndnchf.
Unfortunately I never got a chance to get out to the shop , it started snowing like heck here and I spent the afternoon playing taxi cab and designated snow shoveler. The cold takes a lot out of me and makes the arthritis rear it's ugly head .
Jim2
Your tool holder makes a lot more sense to me for a shaper then the lathe style . A lot less leverage going on there

todays plan .. dovetails version 2.0
i have a fire going and once things are warmed up i am going to try for dovetails that mate .
i think this is gonna be a challenge without a proper vice ... but i feel up to it

Jim2, the gibs on the shaper downfeed should be kept fairly tight to prevent the falling tool issue. If you leave the gibs too loose, the toolhead will slide down on the backstroke and then slam into the work and ramp up to take up the backlash. Why it didn't do it with the lathe tool is a mystery to me. Tighten the gibs until you are uncomfortable with them, that's about right.

Bosephus,

Did you ever get a matching set? I'm the brand new owner of an SB7" and looking for inspiration and future projects to try. Dovetails are on the list!

Back