down right disgusting

The same way they demand a couple million bucks a year more in salary....

oh, I didn't realise it was that simple or that every player in football from middle school and up was able to demand a couple mil on top of whatever they were making. Oh wait, no one supposedly makes anything until they leave college, so they must be able to demand better equipment by the strength of their debating powers and good looks.

I was also clearly under the misapprehension that most pro football players were earning in the $100,000s, like the 2/3 of the Philly Eagles (they're the closest team to me) that earn <$1m. Not saying that isn't a lot of money, but simple economics suggests that the bargaining power that you allude is a whole lot less for the majority of NFL players than you suppose. But hey, I don't think there's any convincing you otherwise.

Just as well you guys dont play hurling over there, it would probably be banned,
The ball(sliotar) is a lump of wood wrapped in a layer of leather, the stick(camán) is ash with a steel band on the end to stop it splintering
[video=youtube;TmzivRetelE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE[/video]

Between hurling and motorcycle road racing the safety brigade have a ways to go here, they are making inroads though
heres a clip of some roadracing in case you haven't seen it (large liathroidí required)

[video=youtube;LU-ynRoqDEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ynRoqDEs[/video]

oh, I didn't realise it was that simple or that every player in football from middle school and up was able to demand a couple mil on top of whatever they were making. Oh wait, no one supposedly makes anything until they leave college, so they must be able to demand better equipment by the strength of their debating powers and good looks.

I was also clearly under the misapprehension that most pro football players were earning in the $100,000s, like the 2/3 of the Philly Eagles (they're the closest team to me) that earn <$1m. Not saying that isn't a lot of money, but simple economics suggests that the bargaining power that you allude is a whole lot less for the majority of NFL players than you suppose. But hey, I don't think there's any convincing you otherwise.

It really makes no difference at all how much they earn or what kind of bargaining power they have -or don't have. Matter of fact, I was totally baffled by your question in the first place.

No one is forcing them to engage in risky, dangerous behavior.

I was knee deep into the fighting sports to an extent most people would not believe. Why don't I do it anymore? Really simple. It's too risky and after a couple good injuries coupled with the fact that you don't heal faster as you get older, I made the conscious decision to not engage in it anymore.

I could see how the slaves in ancient Rome had grounds for a genuine lawsuit as they weren't given options and were forced into doom.

And no, you won't convince me they have grounds for a lawsuit. If there is any lawsuit, it should be against the medical staff who treated them after their first, and second, and third and fourth concussion -for not writing them a formal prognosis telling them, that one more concussion will permanently scramble their brains in unpredictable ways. -But even if they did write such a formal prognosis, I don't think they'd be held liable as I highly doubt the advice would be taken -and they would continue to earn money by intentionally slamming their heads against each-other. There is a price to be paid for stupidity.

Ray

http://www.tablesawinjurylawyers.com/table-saw-lawsuits/?gclid=CKHB_8KBnr4CFc9AMgodz2cAhw

what ever happened to "keep your fingers clear"

lawyers suck

and the judge in the first case should be hung..technically everyone that owns anything can sue if there is better tech out even though they were too cheap to buy it.

CAN-O WORMS!

Please don't denigrate my entire profession, or at least admit that lawyers are people, and it is PEOPLE who suck.

As a lawyer, I try to educate myself about the facts and operative law of a case before I pass judgment, so I went and looked up the court of appeals opinion that approved the award that the JURY made. In this case (as in virtually every case in which folks complain mightily of an allegedly absurd damages award), it is 12 ordinary people who make the final call as to whether wrong was done, and if so what should be done about it, and they have to make that call according to legal principles that reflect the values of fairness and common sense that we have shared for generations (going back to as early as 8th century England).

As the appellate court noted, "It is the province of the jury to determine whether the relevant factors, properly balanced, suggest that a product's design is unreasonable." Osorio v. One World Technologies Inc., 659 F.3d 81, 85 (1st Cir. 2011). It is also the province of the jury to measure the damage done by the "unreasonable" conduct of the defendant. The jury cannot, however, award damages if there is no reason to think the manufacturer should have made a safer machine, even if a safer machine COULD have been built. As the court also explained, "A reasonably fit product need not be a risk-free product, however. Even where the product design creates a risk of foreseeable harm, the question is whether this risk was unreasonable.” Osorio v. One World Technologies Inc., 659 F.3d 81, 85 (1st Cir. 2011).

I don't know who the jurors were in this case, or what they did for a living, or why they came down the way they did on the issues. But they sat through days (and possibly weeks) worth of evidence and argument on both sides of every question they had to answer on their verdict form and decided that Ryobi's design decisions put this construction worker (and others) at risk, that Ryobi knew it was putting people at risk, and that Ryobi had no excuse for doing better. Since I wasn't there, and I don't know all that they did when making the decision to award 1.5 million in damages, I don't think I'm in a particularly good spot to second-guess them.

That picture is in the town I live in. Nice
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back