Doxford engines being built 1957/8

Now, if we could see the tools that built those tools...

Hi, Glad you all like the pictures, they never fail to bring a tear to my eye because it is all gone now. Doxfords became part of the ill fated British Shipbuilders group and the majority of it was sold to one of their major competitors (Sulzer I believe) I think that some vestige of the company still trades in Sunderland, I was up there last monday to collect a Rapidor manchester machine hacksaw
( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320697873392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT )
I bought on Fleabay and noticed a "Doxford Park" industrial estate on the outskirts of Sunderland. As it was painted the usuall "machine green" used in Doxfords, I jokingly asked the guy if it came from Doxfords? Unfortunately not! It was from a school in Newcastle and was originally supplied by Buck and Hickman who are still in business.. Never mind, I can dream. It is in immaculate condition, very little used, and cheap to boot! I drove home through one of the most incredible rainstorms I have ever experienced (mud and rocks rolling across the road in Bilsdale, four stops on the road when no one could see through the rain) with the wipers on full speed for forty miles! I will post more pictures as I find them, and I will take some of my old machinery when I move it out of store and into the main workshop.
Phil

Me with my first lathe, A Dean Smith and Grace 13Z from 1940. It had been dropped on its front at some time (WW2 bomb damage?) and the feed gearbox and various handwheels had been welded back together. It needed a few repairs like there was no oil in the headstock and the pump driven lube didn't work. Fixed it up and repainted (ran out of green but had some red!) This pic is taken in the early seventies, I sold it in 1980ish when I got out of the motor trade. Wonder where it is now?

DS&G 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pictures were amazing, I'd have given quite a sum just to walk through that plant and watch both the machinery running and engines being built, nice saw by the way and thanks for sharing some of that history, it certainly is sad to see places like that go away.

Lawrence.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!, I have posted this elswhere in the group but in case you haven't seen it I will post it here
http://www.enuii.org/vulcan_foundry/index.htm

Vulcan foundry started building steam engines in 1830 and finished at the end of the 1970's with diesel and diesel electric locos. I stumbled on this completely by chance, and I love it. Enjoy.
Phil.

The gears are beautiful! If you look at the front of a Citroen car you will see a representation of this type of gear. The story of Andre Citroen and the double helical gear is here http://www.svvs.org/citroen2.shtml
Fantastic pictures, now I'm going to explore that link!
Phil.

Those machines and the work being done are awe inspiring. Thanks for posting!

I am going to have to bug my wife and maybe kids to look at the pics later tonight (even though I doubt they'll have interest) in order to share it with someone. :p Pretty sure I'll get that patronizing look/voice and, "That's nice hon." ;)

-Ron

Back